Staff Software Engineer - Android
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
$128,000.00 CAD - $187,000.00 CAD
Programming Languages Mentioned
To learn more about our Hiring Range System, please click this link.
At Pocket, we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become crucial to how over 100M people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention.
We’re looking for a passionate and skilled Android engineer to provide technical expertise and bring to life key aspects of our Android app.
If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges that will excite you. We're a small team within a well-established organization (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017), and that means lots of opportunity to build, learn and grow in a variety of areas, collaborate closely with fellow team members from many different fields, and to own things from start to finish that have tremendous impact on large numbers of people.
Our Android app has been recognized time and again as a leader on the platform. Our users agree: Pocket for Android is one of the few mobile apps that can claim a decade of near-perfect user ratings. Currently we’re up to 4.7, and we’ve been consistently above 4.5. We take pride in this and we believe this reflects our values which include a focus on the user.
Come work with us and make a huge impact.
What you’ll do:
- Help define the future of our Android product by partnering with us to maintain and grow a formative Play Store experience—one that’s been shipping continuously since Android 2.X.
- Create a dynamic, flexible, native user experience that allows our users to discover, save, organize, consume, and share millions of articles.
- Provide technical expertise by proposing new solutions, illuminating risks and trade-offs, and collaborating with your teammates to build consensus and confidence in our initiatives.
- Work closely with our existing mobile engineers to build an extraordinary engineering experience for yourself and your peers.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, designers, product managers, and support teams to create a wonderful product experience for Pocket’s Android users.
- Contribute daily to decisions affecting Pocket's future, and its mobile and desktop platform.
What you already have:
- Eight years of general industry experience, and at least 6 years of hands-on experience with Android development.
- Substantial experience with both Java and Kotlin, and the ability to lead a gradual transition of a large codebase that evolved throughout the last decade to modern Android architecture, and have the result be thoughtful, friendly, and maintainable.
- Experience resolving problems, signaling risk, fostering change, and facilitating collaborative decision-making in a cross-functional team.
- Confidence building things natively with Android first-party libraries and tools, combined with the curiosity to dive into and take advantage of our home-grown solutions where we couldn’t find a fit within existing standard tools and libraries.
- Appreciation for how your tools work. You've experienced the ins and outs of memory management; you understand structured concurrency; you can explain coroutines, flows and how they can co-exist with older callback based APIs.
- Passion for communication partnerships. You take pride in your ability to explain your ideas, and to understand the ideas of others.
What will make you happiest here:
- You’ve partnered with a multi-functional team, or developed on a platform other than Android.
- You are comfortable with Git, and can comfortably rebase, squash, etc.
- You’ve worked inside of complex Android projects; multi-module; multiple build types and flavors; and code generation.
- You've mastered your tools. You know how to take advantage of the power of IntelliJ refactorings; you know the right keyboard shortcuts and know all the tool windows.
- You're excited by the opportunity to pioneer fresh technologies like Compose and Snapshot state.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications we still encourage you to apply!
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R1995
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄