Security Assurance Lead
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, C++, Golang
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora’s Product Security team’s mission is to discover, mitigate, and prevent security risks in the software, hardware, and services developed by Aurora.
Our team is responsible for ensuring the secure design and implementation of the technology built for the Aurora Driver as well as continually improving the assurance levels of security across all of Aurora’s Products. This team is also responsible for performing technical security assessments, threat modeling, security code reviews and vulnerability testing to highlight risk and help various engineering teams and partners to improve security. We work closely with engineers across Aurora as well as 3rd party partners to design and proactively integrate initiatives to enhance security across a wide variety of software or hardware domains and technology stacks. We are searching for an experienced Security Engineer with strong offensive security assessment experience that is excited to lead the assurance of the overall security posture for the autonomous vehicle platform to join us on this mission.
In this role, you will
- Perform technical security assessments and reviews, research, uncover, and reproduce vulnerabilities, design secure protocols and systems, and write tests and fuzzers to drive architecture changes
- Assess the risks across the Aurora Driver Platform and prioritize high value components (software and/or hardware) for critical and high security vulnerabilities
- Comfort employing techniques including reverse engineering, fuzzing, and static and/or dynamic analysis
- Conduct research to identify new and novel attack vectors against Aurora’s products and services
- Review, develop and document secure operational best practices, and provide security guidance for engineers and various internal and external partners
- Foundational knowledge of operating system security for Linux
- Foundational knowledge of the CWE Top 25
- Ability to assess software and/or hardware components with and without full knowledge
- Ability to work well with other assessment members and engineering partners
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in one or more of the following: risk assessment, threat modeling, incident and emergency response, OS hardening, vulnerability management, pentesting, offensive security or cryptographic protocols and concepts
- Experience in vulnerability discovery and analysis, design review, and code-level security reviews
- Experience in, and technical knowledge of security engineering, computer and network security, authentication and security protocols, and applied cryptography.
- Experience with assessment, development, implementation, and documentation of a comprehensive and broad set of security technologies and processes
- Relevant work experience in offensive security, penetration testing or red teaming
- Experience implementing various Defense in Depth Strategies to address dynamic threats across various software and hardware stacks.
- Ability and desire to write production-quality code in C++, Golang, or Python
- Experience evaluating the security of software, hardware and services
- Foundational knowledge of embedded firmware security and hardware security, preferably in the robotics or automotive space
- Familiarity with cloud security (AWS) and infrastructure-as-code
- Familiarity with Trusted Platform Modules, HSMs, and trusted boot
- A history of giving back to the security industry via open source contributions, published papers, or conference presentations
The base salary range for this position is $297K-$495K per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄