Frontend Engineer Apprenticeship
Fetch Rewards (View all Jobs)
1. Short take-home project 2. 50 min screening interview that includes discussion of project 3. 5 hr (w/ breaks) final interview that involves speaking with your future manager and a non-technical product manager, a real-world coding problem, and high-level and low-level system design problems.
Programming Languages Mentioned
You Must be located in: Chicago, Madison or BHM. This is an on-site opportunity, 1-2 days per week in the office. You must be able to start working full time hours immediately! Please do not apply if you are not already local.
What we’re building and why we’re building it.
Fetch is a build-first technology company creating a rewards program to power the world. Over the last 5 years we’ve grown from 0 to 18M active users and taken over the rewards game in the US with our free app. The foundation has been laid. In the next 5 years we will become a global platform that completely transforms how people connect with brands.
It all comes down to two core beliefs. First, that people deserve to be rewarded when they create value. If a third party directly benefits from an action you take or data you provide, you should be rewarded for it. And not just the “you get to use our product!” cop-out. We’re talkin’ real, explicit value. Fetch points, perhaps.
Second, we also believe brands need a better and more direct connection with what matters most to them: their customers. Brands need to understand what people are doing, and have a direct line to be able to do something about it. Not just advertise, but ACT. Sounds nice right?
That’s why we’re building the world’s rewards platform. A closed-loop, standardized rewards layer across all consumer behavior that will lead to happier shoppers and stronger brands.
Fetch Rewards is an equal employment opportunity employer. This position can be based remotely in the United States or hybrid in Birmingham, Boston, Chicago, Madison, New York, and San Francisco.
We are looking for a Frontend Engineer Apprentice. You will build and maintain world class web applications for our customer and external partners working directly with our backend services. You’ll be working on a small, multi-functional team that may include other engineers, a designer, product manager, data scientist and other roles. Success in this role requires the ability to take on challenging problems while designing and developing amazing solutions with a user-centric focus. You must be able to work full time hours. This is not a summer apprenticeship. This role will hopefully turn into a perm role after the 3 month apprenticeship is completed.
In your tool-bag:
- Flexibility to implement a feature from either a highly specific design OR a bare bones idea that needs thought & iteration
- Ability to strike the right balance between product design and technology to create the best possible solution
- Familiarity with functional and/or object-oriented programming
- Ability to optimize poorly performing code.
- Ability to explain both short and long-term solutions with trade-offs
- Effective communication, including the ability to translate and explain technical issues to non-technical team members
You have experience with:
- 2 Frontend frameworks (React, Angular, Vue, Svelte)
- Frontend Styling and layout (CSS, HTML, Sass or Less)
- Design System Implementation
- Responsive UI Design
- Application State Management
- Version control system (Git)
- Test writing and quality assurance
- Messages queue and event streaming (Kafka, Kinesis, Redis Streams)
- Continuous development
- Experience with the automation of testing, building, and deploying frontend solutions
- Data-Driven Design
- Experience with Tailwind CSS or similar utility-first CSS framework
- Charting, Dash-boarding, and Report Generation
- Asynchronous or Reactive Programming
- In-memory data stores and caches (Redis, Memcache)
- Understanding of the complexity and failure domains of micro-services and distributed architectures, and how these can impact end-user experiences.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science, engineering or mathematics
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄