Senior Software Engineer
RStudio (View all Jobs)
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
Posit (formerly RStudio) creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain used by millions worldwide, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. We’re a Certified B Corporation®, which means we’ve written our open-source mission into our corporate charter.
To be impactful, data scientists’ results must be accessible. Posit Connect provides a way to effortlessly share data science analyses and insights across entire organizations in a way that is secure, reproducible, and scalable. Posit Connect is a standalone publishing platform used by thousands of enterprise customers around the world.
About the Role
Things you’ll own:
- Driving technical decisions for subsections of the product. Take ownership of some part of the product and become an expert over time. Some of these areas could be the API, IAM, cloud-native capabilities, or the backend components that drive it all.
- Understanding our customers and focusing our roadmap on their needs.
Things you’ll help with:
- Figuring out what we should build, not just how to build it
- Designing APIs and workflows for our customers’ many use cases
- Collaborating with product and other engineering teams
- Improving the team’s best practices, technologies, and tooling
Things you’ll teach the team:
- Your own personal areas of interest and expertise, based on your unique experiences and career history
Things you’ll learn:
- How data science teams from tiny to huge work and deliver value in their own companies
- Building enterprise-class, systems-oriented software in Go
- Practical data science using R and Python – with the opportunity and resources for mastery
Within one month, you will…
- Meet the team and our partners in the product and engineering groups
- Learn about our development practices and release cycle
- Deliver your first contribution to the product
Within three months, you will…
- See your code changes reflected in our current product version
- Participate in feature planning and provide feedback
- Fully understand the structure and internal components of the product
Within six months, you will...
- Interact with several customers through support and discovery
- Identify and advocate for new features or technical goals
- Begin focusing on one or more areas of the product that align with your own interests and ambitions
Within a year, you will…
- Significantly influence the strategic direction of the product and its architecture
- Make multiple large contributions to the code, our tooling, or best practices
- Plan and deliver a project that requires cross-team collaboration and coordination
What you bring:
- Experience designing and building new product features, expanding large systems, and API design.
- Experience working with any of the major Cloud providers.
- 7+ years developing, testing, shipping, and maintaining software in production.
- A genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with.
What you won’t need on day 1:
Experience in data science is not required to join the Connect engineering team. Along the way, we expect that you’ll develop an understanding of the domain. By spending some time with data science tools, you will build better products to serve our users. We offer many opportunities to learn and explore the field.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄