Software QA Engineer, Posit Package Manager Team
RStudio (View all Jobs)
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
Posit creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain used by millions worldwide, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. We’re a Certified B Corporation®, which means we’ve written our open-source mission into our corporate charter. Our commercial products support this work, which helps data scientists manage their work and share the results with others.
The Posit Package Manager (RSPM) product stores and distributes data science packages like those available on CRAN and PyPI or developed internally. It also includes features to help build consistent environments, provide pre-compiled package binaries for faster installations, and more. We are striving to develop the best multilingual package manager for data scientists. Our QA technology stack includes Selenium with Python for automation and API testing, Locust for load testing, SQLite/PostgreSQL for back-end, shell scripting, and Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS for infrastructure. We don’t expect you to be an expert in each of these technologies and are happy to provide guidance.
The team is very autonomous and decides what’s working for the team, and decides what new tools or processes to investigate and implement based on our needs. We embrace change; we’re regularly learning and evolving to be better and more efficient. We do this through retrospectives, grooming, and feedback from within and from the open source community we collaborate with. We step in where we see a need, and help one another accomplish team goals.
What you’ll own/work on independently:
- Development of reusable, efficient, and maintainable automated tests and test plans
- Lead the building and maintenance of load testing infrastructure and test strategy
- Identification, reporting, and verification of product issues and enhancements
- Maintenance and enhancement of automated test infrastructure, making automated tests easier to author, faster to run, more resilient, and broader in coverage
- Building and maintenance of Linux tools to improve test coverage
What you’ll work on with team members:
- Participation in the full SDLC: You will be involved in the initial planning, requirements gathering, design, feedback, and more.
- Managing a variety of test environments for both manual and automated testing, along with the team
- Planning for the future of automated tests and infrastructure
- Collaboration with other QA Engineers to coordinate test coverage, assess risk holistically, and help each other when needed
- Testing software products at various interfaces: CLI, API, DB, etc.
- Suggesting process improvements and preventing bad habits
What you’ll teach:
- A Quality mindset across the team. Everyone on the team owns Quality, and QA helps set the tone of user advocacy.
- Sharing your expert knowledge in some of the following: test automation, Shell scripting, PostgreSQL, Docker, Pulumi, Python, AWS, Jest, PyTest, or similar technologies
- Industry trends and new technologies related to testing and automation
What you’ll learn:
- The Posit products and how data scientists are using them today
- How to test a product that is both distributed on-premise for customers and cloud-hosted by our team
- A deeper understanding of cloud infrastructure and devops for build / test / deployment
- Experience writing automated tests in any programming language. Our current end-to-end tests are written in Python with Selenium, and run in Docker.
- Performance and stress testing with Locust or similar
- API testing
- Database testing experience with Postgres, SQLite, or similar
- Batch or Shell E2E experience
- Knowledge of infrastructure automation tools such as Pulumi, Terraform, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at Posit.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- Posit is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- Posit's gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office.
- We offer a $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental if you prefer to work away from home.
- Our Lifestyle Savings Account offers an initial deposit of $1800 and then an additional $125/month to cover the costs of professional development, wellness, financial health, charitable giving, and remote work support.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
Posit is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄