Tessera Data - Senior Database Reliability Engineer
Checkr (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, Denver, Orlando, Remote, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
Programming Languages Mentioned
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
This position is for our Tessera Data business, which is focused on building a safer future, online and offline, by providing valuable people data to drive informed trust and safety decisions. Our industry-leading data serves as the backbone for background checks used to protect a company’s employees, customers, and community.
We are looking for a Senior Database Reliability Engineer, in this role you will provide key expertise in the automation, monitoring, and alerting of data resources. You will also be assisting engineering teams in database performance enhancements, as well as maintenance of our databases, servers, and database applications to ensure a consistent, uninterrupted experience for our accounts.
What a typical week may look like at Tessera
- Work with the best and talented people
- Manage cloud infrastructure related to database systems
- Automate manual tasks associated with database systems
- Automate monitoring and alerting for database systems and infrastructure
- Manage user database access across multiple database systems
- Build, test, and manage DR and HA plans
- Review, identify and suggest best practices for performance tuning of poorly performing queries
- Perform database and systems related code reviews
- Make recommendations and implement emerging database technologies (No SQL, Relational...)
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Design databases and architecture to support business applications, ensuring system scalability, security, performance, and reliability
What we value in a Database Reliability Engineer
- 5+ years of progressive work related experience with Data Operations, Engineering, and Administration
Experience working with cloud managed database services, AWS and/or Azure
- Experience with managing AWS networking including VPCs, Subnets, and Security Groups
- Experience with writing Infrastructure as Code using Terraform
- Experience with management of data pipelines
- Experience with managing AWS security model
- Experience with managing virtual machines used as database server hosts
- Experience in High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MS SQL Server including AlwaysOn, Clustering, Log Shipping and SQL Replication
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience in data warehouse administration and design concepts
- Ability to perform T-SQL, BCP, ETL, SSIS development and coding best practices
- Ability to perform and automate scheduled database maintenance (updates, patches, shrinking and moving of files/logs, archiving data, and reindexing)
- Ability to assist engineering teams in identifying and tuning poorly performing queries
- Ability to assist engineering teams with data analysis
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. The salary range for this role is $102,213 to $212,750.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Tessera
Tessera is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Tessera believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Tessera also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Tessera's commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄