Software Systems & Safety Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
This role is within Aurora's Systems and Safety Engineering group, which is responsible for the engineering work of designing and developing architecture, algorithms, and tools needed to ensure that the Self Driving Vehicle meets Aurora's Safety Case - an unsolved problem for the industry and one of the most difficult challenges in the history of system safety engineering. Our team is responsible for understanding the functionality of the full stack and helping to define operational parameters important to maintain safe driving conditions. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently, learn, tailor and execute processes, and perform in a collaborative environment.
In this role, you will
- Take a leading role in ensuring the Aurora Driver system is able to preserve key functionality and continue meeting safety goals in the presence of faults, failures, and functional limitations
- Collaborate with software subject-matter-experts to identify necessary safety mechanisms and architecture improvements to achieve safety goals
- Develop strategies to detect faults and specify the intended behavior for the fault to ensure that the Aurora Driver preserves key functionalities while performing a mission
- Define and develop test, verification, and validation plans for our complex software product capabilities to ensure overall system safety
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or a related field
- Proficiency and experience in C++ programming
- Proficiency in Python, and experience with data manipulation and analysis
- Experience writing testable software requirements
- Experience assessing software design and reviewing code
- Strong technical background and familiarity with modern software development practices and designs, unit testing, integration test, and release processes
- Experience working within large, production-ready codebases
- Comfortable working with ambiguity, evolving priorities, and challenging problems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Familiarity with the applications of Artificial Intelligence or Autonomous Systems technologies (e.g., Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Machine Learning) to sensing, perception, multi-unit planning, or command and control of autonomous systems
- Familiarity with safety critical systems, particularly with safety-critical software development standards, software safety fault/hazard analysis, and a requirements-driven software verification and validation strategies
- Familiarity with ISO26262, and in particular, Part 6 and 8, pertaining to software safety and supporting processes
- Experience with hardware in the loop (HIL) testing
- Experience with agile/scrum framework
The base salary range for this position is $168,000.00-$252,000.00 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄