Senior Data Scientist | Inference & Estimation
Ramp (View all Jobs)
New York, Miami, Remote
1. Phone interview on a basic applied problem 2. Followed by 2-3 onsite programming interviews that test practical day-to-day software skills.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Ramp is building the next generation of finance tools—from corporate cards and expense management, to bill payments and accounting integrations—designed to save businesses time and money with every click. Over 12,000 customers cut their expenses by 3.5% per year and close their books 8x faster by switching to the Ramp platform.
Founded in 2019, Ramp powers the fastest-growing corporate card and bill payment software in America and enables billions of dollars of purchases each year. Ramp continues to grow quickly, more than doubling its revenue run rate in the first half of 2022.
Valued at $8.1 billion, Ramp's investors include Founders Fund, Stripe, Citi, Goldman Sachs, Coatue Management, D1 Capital Partners, Redpoint Ventures, General Catalyst, and Thrive Capital, as well as over 100 angel investors who were founders or executives of leading companies. The Ramp team comprises talented leaders from leading financial services and fintech companies—Stripe, Affirm, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Capital One—as well as technology companies such as Meta, Uber, Netflix, Twitter, Dropbox, and Instacart. Ramp was named Fast Company’s most innovative finance company in 2022 and #5 on LinkedIn Top Startups 2022.
About the Role
We’re looking for someone to help lead the future of data science at Ramp. The Data Science team at Ramp creates value by optimizing core leverage points across the business and owning the models powering decision-making. You will need to have a head for strategy & cross-functional collaboration, since you will partner closely with business & product stakeholders to prioritize, execute, and drive results. You will also partner closely with the rest of the data team and the engineering team to design, implement, and maintain data science models in production.
Inference & estimation data science at Ramp focuses on solving quantitative problems across credit, fraud, growth, and our core product by applying the right mix of causal inference, structural modeling, and optimization.
What You’ll Do
- Develop Ramp’s research and experimentation frameworks by developing causal inference based models and tools to drive analysis
- Full stack data science development: from upstream data modeling and cleaning, to research and prototyping, to deploying and monitoring models in production
- Contribute to the company roadmap by working closely with stakeholders throughout the lifecycle of prioritization: from complex and nebulous business context, to well-defined objectives, to a roadmap of scoped opportunities for leveraging data science to drive business results
- Leverage a combination of causal inference, structural modeling and optimization to build key models to solve core business problems
- Formulate backtesting frameworks to empirically validate model performance
- Design, implement, and evaluate statistically-sound experiments to measure the causal impact of treatments and interventions
- Generate and communicate data-driven insights to influence decision making across Ramp
What You Need
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience as a Data Scientist, Research Scientist, or equivalent
- Strong familiarity with the mathematical fundamentals of advanced statistics, optimization, and/or economics, as well as methods for experimental design and causal inference
- Experience working with large datasets in Python, Strong knowledge of SQL (preferably Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery)
- Strong communication: the ability to bridge technical methodology to meaningful data narratives to drive company decisions and strategy
- Track record of shipping high quality data products in production and at scale
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly improving, start-up environment that focuses on solving problems with iterative technical solutions
Nice to Haves
- PhD in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields
- Strong perspective on data science engineering development cycle (data modeling, version control, documentation + testing, best practices for codebase development)
- Familiarity with data orchestration platforms (Airflow, Dagster, Prefect)
- Experience at a high-growth startup
- The annual salary/OTE range for the target level for this role is $170,000-$200,000 + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k)
Ramp Benefits (for U.S. based employees)
- 100% medical, dental & vision insurance coverage for you
- Partially covered for your dependents
- One Medical annual membership
- 401k (including employer match)
- Please note only 401k contributions made while employed by Ramp are eligible for an employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- WFH stipend to support your home office needs
- Wellness stipend
- Parental Leave
- Relocation support
- Pet insurance
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄