Software Engineer - Online Mapping
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
- Develop, test, and validate software to build a perceived map representation for the Aurora Driver
- Build engineered and machine learned solutions for perception and decision making
- Object Oriented Programming and Design
- Experience with testing and validation of software. Experience in safety critical systems is a plus
- Mathematical background sufficient to understand some computational geometry required to represent and manipulate spatial data
- Sufficient background in statistics for analyzing software behavior and performance characteristics
- Experience applying the scientific method for formulating hypothesis, designing experiments, and analyzing the results in order to make informed, data-driven decisions
- Has strong communication and presentation skills to be able to convey highly-technical material to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience deploying code for large-scale data processing, using technologies such as Docker/containerization, Spark, Map-Reduce, Kubernetes, distributed storage and file systems
- Experience with cloud computing services, preferably Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience designing APIs and interfaces for integrating components into complex software systems
- Has experience applying the right algorithms and data structures to yield performant and scalable software, understands complexity analysis (big-O notation)
- Strong proficiency in C++ or Python
- At least 2+ years of software engineering experience
- PhD/MS/BS in Robotics, Machine Learning, Computer Science, or a related field
- Expertise in Deep Learning, especially as applied to camera/LiDAR data for 2D/3D object detection, segmentation, tracking, and related applications
- Strong grasp of fundamentals: linear algebra, discrete and continuous optimization, supervised and unsupervised methods, generative and discriminative methods
- Experience with perception sensors including LIDAR, radar, and cameras
- Familiarity with mapping and localization technologies
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄