Engineering Manager, Switchboard
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
$142,800 - $260,100
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Engineering Manager, Switchboard leads a Fullstack team responsible for the GitLab Dedicated customer-facing control panel referred to as "Switchboard". The team consists of Backend Engineers and Frontend Engineers.
The Engineering Manager's primary responsibility and focus is building a world-class team (hiring and coaching), and putting them in the best position to succeed. They must also efficiently coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.
They need to be familiar with GitLab's underlying technologies and processes to be able to support their team growth, as well as be the final decisive vote in cases where the team is blocked on a decision.
- Hire an incredible team that lives our values
- Improve the happiness and productivity of the team
- Hold regular 1:1's with team members
- Drive efforts and ensure efficiency around GitLab production
- Manage team projects
- Work across sections within engineering
- Improve the quality, security and performance of the product
- Work on small code changes outside of the critical path
- 3+ years managing software development and site reliability engineering teams
- Strong technical background
- Experience in managing a combined team of engineers that have a focus on backend and frontend interfaces
- Experience in running a customer-facing application
- Experience in collaborating with Design and Product teams on wireframes for the customer-facing control panel
- Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization
- Experience running a consumer scale platform
- Product company experience
- Enterprise software company experience or startup experience
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about open source and developer tools
- Exquisite communication skills
- Leadership at GitLab
- Experience in managing a remote team
- Ability to use GitLab
Engineering Manager, Switchboard, have the following job-family performance indicators:
Learn more about the Engineering Management - Infrastructure roles, including compensation at the engineering management - infrastructure page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to a 30 minute Screening Call with a Recruiter
- Next, selected candidates will be invited to a 45 minute Peer Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Next, candidates will be invited to a 45 minute Technical Interview with an Engineer from the Infrastructure team
- Next, candidates will be invited to a second 45 minute Peer Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Finally, selected candidates will be invited to a 45 minute Hiring Manager with the Director of Infrastructure, Platform
- Candidates may be asked to meet with additional Team Members at the Hiring Manager's discretion
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $142,800 - $260,100 for Colorado residents and $142,800 - $290,700 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄