Tessera Data - Staff AWS Data Engineer
Checkr (View all Jobs)
Remote, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
$160,395 - $188,700
Programming Languages Mentioned
Java, C#, Python, ETL, SQL
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Tessera Data, a subsidiary of Checkr—the #16 Cloud 100 company—is looking for a talented AWS Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. Tessera Data is the backend to the background screening industry. Our team is responsible for the daily processing of billions of records and terabytes of data that power the leading companies in our fields.
As we migrate our legacy systems to AWS, we need an energetic leader to map the design, development, and implementation of our new AWS environment. We are looking for a transformational person that wants to grow into a manager position and build a team of Data Engineers that will be responsible for our mission critical data assets. We will be migrating thousands of individual sources of data to our new platform while implementing best-in-class data quality programs. This individual must be able to communicate and collaborate across multiple departments, business leaders to successfully execute our strategy.
Tessera is transforming the Identity Verification world and we are looking for these rock stars to drive our mission forward.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- 7+ of work experience with ETL, Data Modeling, and Data Architecture.
- Proficiency in Python, SQL, JVM-based (Scala/Java) C# or similar programming languages
- Proficiency in in big data technologies - Hadoop, Spark, Airflow, Presto, Snowflake
- Proficiency in AWS cloud services - Glue, Glue Catalog, S3, Data Pipelines
- Proficiency in multiple languages—Python, Scala, Java, SQL etc.
- Proficiency in AWS Lambda functions.
- Experience operating terra-byte scale data warehouses or data lakes.
- Experience leading projects
- Proven interpersonal skills and standout colleague.
- A real passion for technology—we are looking for someone who is keen to demonstrate their existing skills while trying new approaches.
- Expertise in ETL optimization, designing, coding, and tuning big data processes using Apache Spark or similar technologies.
- Experience with building data pipelines and applications to stream and process datasets at low latencies.
- Experience deploying resources through Infrastructure as Code methodologies.
- Show efficiency in handling data—tracking data lineage, ensuring data quality, and improving discoverability of data.
- Experience in Apache Airflow or similar orchestration services.
- Sound knowledge of distributed systems and data architecture (e.g. AWS Lambdas)—design and implement batch and stream data processing pipelines, knows how to optimize the distribution, partitioning, and MPP of high-level data structures.
- Knowledge of Engineering and Operational Excellence using standard methodologies.
- Expert-level skills in writing and optimizing SQL.
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
*The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $160,395 - $188,700.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Tessera
Tessera is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Tessera believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Tessera also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Tessera’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄