Staff Software Engineer (Backend Focus)
Hologram (View all Jobs)
Remote (US Only)
1. Intro call 2. Take-home project taken from production work 3. Pair programming exercise
Programming Languages Mentioned
The future, as we see it, has millions of devices connected to the internet — everything from citywide bike sharing systems to smarter heart monitors to internet-connected eggs to catch turtle poachers. Hologram is here to connect anything to the internet — via our global cellular platform and network available in over 200 countries and territories. The future is connected, and we are connecting it.
About This Role
Hologram is looking for an experienced Staff Engineer to build modern, robust web services to reinvent the phone company from the bottom up, or maybe from the inside out. Someone with pride in their craft, with the drive to learn new approaches to deliver great experiences, the judgment to know the next big thing from the fads, and the patience to teach the rest of the team.
What you'll do:
- A different kind of technical challenge. More than just another app, Hologram delivers internet to physical devices on the move all over the world.
- We’re committed to writing software the right way, using best practices to write high quality code and giving engineers the space and autonomy to do excellent work.
- Transparency all across the company, including salaries, the cap table, and how many dollars are in the bank.
- Hologram engineers work up and down the stack, and are actively encouraged to cross-train in new areas of computer science they haven’t worked with before.
- We collaborate across departments, working directly with designers and product managers to decide what to build and how it will work.
Helpful skills and experience:
- 8+ years of experience estimating, producing, and deploying maintainable user-facing code
- Experience with modular design, testing, and refactoring existing code
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally on requirements with an ability to navigate ambiguity and reduce complexity — taking broad goals and creating execution plans with good judgement
- Tenacious bug-fixing skills and a self-motivated desire to learn how things work and improve them
- Experience collaborating on solutions and architecture with a team in an agile-like system
- Adaptability and an eagerness to continue learning and growing in a fast-paced environment
- Proven experience mentoring and growing the team around you - you excel at making everyone around you better
How we work at Hologram
Hologram is a fun, fast-paced, and remote-first team united by our core values of ownership, transparency, and mindfulness. We trust you to do what’s best for our product, customers, and team members and empower you to make the right calls without heavy bureaucracy.
As part of our team, you'll receive:
- Competitive, transparent pay and equity. The salary range for this role is $146,000-$186,000 for an average cost of living city. (For candidates in the highest cost-of-living cities like San Francisco and New York, compensation rises to better meet your costs.)
- Unlimited paid time off and flexible scheduling
- We cover 100% for employees and dependents on our base medical plan
- 14 weeks of family leave
- Unlimited books, e-books, and audiobooks for continuous learning
- Generous home office setup stipend
We pride ourselves on celebrating everyone — Hologram is an equal opportunity employer actively working on creating a diverse and inclusive work environment where underrepresented groups can thrive.
Together we’re building something great: a way to help everyone – and everything – stay online and connected.
What to expect in the interview process:
- An intro call with a member of our recruiting team
- Brief coding exercise and review
- Technical Interview with folks of our Engineering Team
- Behavioral Interview with one of our Engineering Managers
- Collaborative Interview with folks from our Product and/or Design Team
- Background Check
Ready to apply?
If you share our values and our passion for connecting the world, we’d love to review your application! For any needed accommodations during the hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, please still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄