Senior Political Correspondent
Axios (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Follow-up of take-home, involving a discussion.
Quick Take: Axios is a company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Senior Political Correspondent to help lead our politics coverage, with a focus on the White House and Congress. This role reports into the Managing Editor of Politics.
Why it Matters: We're seeking innovative, experienced and high-impact reporters with the scoop and storytelling chops to drive coverage of American politics through the 2024 presidential election.
- A successful candidate will break news on the most consequential developments in Washington and bring sharp analysis to why it matters to the Axios audience. He/she will be steeped in the politics and policies at stake in Washington, as well as have already built relationships with sources close to the action.
Go Deeper: You will give Axios readers the best and most accurate picture of what happens inside the White House and on Capitol Hill, and be able to explain how those events impact other branches of government and daily life. We expect you to regularly break news and provide details that haven’t been reported by other publications or networks.
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to break stories, spot trends for longer-range coverage, and convey contextual meaning to developments on the beat. Ideal candidates will also have the following skills:
- A track record of breaking stories and covering news from different angles
- A deep understanding of Washington, specifically how the White House and Congress works
- Ability to represent their stories effectively on other platforms, such as TV, radio, podcasts.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund,” which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Salary Range: Base salary for this role is in the range of $170,000-$200,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄