Senior Data Science Manager, Personal Banking
Monzo (View all Jobs)
Cardiff, London or Remote (UK)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
Programming Languages Mentioned
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Data Science, Personal Banking Team:
The Personal Banking collective owns our most important current account features you may be familiar with from our app. You’ll get the chance to work on some of our market leading products and be an integral part of how we reimagine the product for the future. Your work will produce a best in class new user experience.
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data scientist is a member of a central data discipline and fully embedded into a product squad alongside engineers, designers, marketers, product managers, analytics engineers, machine learning engineers, etc.
What you’ll be working on:
You’ll work closely with product managers, engineers, designers and researchers in an agile product environment. You’ll champion the use of data, and bring ideas to life through rigorous experimentation and A/B testing. You’ll help us get the most out of our volumes of data, spotting opportunities to make each area of our product work even better for our users. You’ll help your team grow, hiring new team members, supporting their personal development. Your team will drive product innovation and you’ll get to see the impact of all your work in the product changes we make.
Be a leader in building a discipline of exceptional data scientists working on making Monzo a world class product
- Help hire, develop and retain talented Data Scientists
- Generate insights that can change the direction of product development
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to the product leadership teams with the capacity for getting things done, be it either hands-on or by leading others
- Liaise with partners to make sure we collect the right data to produce relevant data insights
- Guide and enable product teams to measure things that matter; initiate or help run A/B experiments to keep improving everything we do
You should apply if:
What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You have multiple years of experience in data, working as a Lead Analyst or Data Scientist
- You know what it takes to manage top tier Data Science talent
- You’re excited by the opportunity to work autonomously to impact the future of a fast growing, ever evolving business
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing data scientists and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (from business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning), and coding languages (Python and SQL). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same
- You have multiple years experience working in a product analytics role and have conducting large scale A/B experiments
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions!
- 30 minute recruiter call
- 45 minute call with hiring manager
- 3 x 1-hour video calls with various team member
Our average process takes around 3 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄