Machine Learning Engineer, Copilot Model Improvements
Github (View all Jobs)
Remote - Canada
1. Take-home exercise 2. Code review and technical discussions.
GitHub helps companies, organizations, and groups of individuals succeed by allowing them to build better software, together. The successful launch of GitHub Copilot as a Technical Preview in June 2021 has demonstrated the possibilities of AI-assisted software development.
Since that launch, GitHub has been working towards making the product generally available. The engineering organization is now looking for developers to join the Copilot Model Improvements team to improve the quality of Copilot’s underlying machine learning model and its suggested completions.
The Copilot team currently has three subteams:
- Model Improvements: Responsible for improving the quality of the code suggested by Copilot.
- IDE: Responsible for delivering the GitHub Copilot IDE extension in a range of supported editors.
- Foundations: responsible for the Copilot backend services, integration into GitHub proper, and data pipelines.
The Copilot Model Improvements aims to improve the completions that are the core of Copilot. The team has close partnerships with Microsoft Azure AI Platform and OpenAI. It also has strong links with GitHub Next, a research team within GitHub investigating the future of software development, where Copilot was originally incubated.
The Copilot team is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have excellent written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Propose new techniques to improve the quality of Copilot’s suggestions.
- Write production code to implement these techniques, which will be shipped in the Copilot IDE clients.
- Construct and execute experiments to evaluate the impact of these techniques.
- Collaborate closely with other parts of the wider Copilot team.
- Strong software engineering skills.
- Some background in Machine Learning.
- Experience in at least one of the following fields:
- Developer tooling
- Program/static analysis
- Compilers and compiler construction
- Experience with applying scientific thinking to a software product: formulating a hypothesis, conducting an experiment, and validating the hypothesis.
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the following Canadian provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄