Lead IFRS9 Analyst, Borrowing
Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, SQL, Golang
At Monzo we believe there’s a better way to do banking - we care deeply about our customers, are innovative and execute quickly.
Our mission is to revolutionise the way people manage their finances by putting them in control and promoting their financial wellbeing. Our Borrowing business is growing rapidly (both on our existing products, and with the planned launch of new products). We aim to create a genuine feel-good factor when it comes to personal credit, and are looking for driven, analytical and creative individuals to help us achieve this goal.
We are scaling up our Credit Modelling team to support the rapid growth and evolution of our portfolio. This role is a senior / lead analyst within that team. Strong data and analytical skills are a must, as is a deep expertise in credit risk modelling and IFRS9 provision methodology in particular. Experience in retail credit originations, Net Present Value modelling, Scorecard modelling, Capital, Forecasting and Stress Testing are desirable, but not essential.
Monzo’s Borrowing Credit & Data team
Our Borrowing Credit & Data team is the largest and most diverse team within Monzo’s Data Discipline, and is also one of the largest parts of the Borrowing Collective.
This team sits at the core of our lending business. We design products, decide who to lend to, set underwriting policy, track the volume of new originations, identify customers who need help, manage the portfolio, measure risk and compute the core metrics required both for Monzo’s senior management and for our external financial reporting. We set prices, build predictive models, run experiments, build dashboards, enhance data pipelines and manage Monzo’s credit risk.
Our Data team's mission is to Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits our data platform. We're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Our engineers collect analytics events from their microservices, and upload these into our Data stack for analysis. We optimise for simplicity and re-usability – all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery.
What you'll be working on
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies (note we do not expect applicants to have prior experience of all them):
- Google Cloud Platform for all of our analytics infrastructure
- dbt and BigQuery SQL for our data modelling and warehousing
- Python for data science
- Go to write our application code
- AWS for most of our backend infrastructure
Your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Leading projects, covering: methodology, parameter calibration and technical implementation
- Investigating changes in ECL & conducting driver analysis
- Optimising the credit risk and economic models used in IFRS9
- Running our monthly provisions process, and delivering outcomes to Monzo’s senior team (including our Head of Borrowing, CFO and CRO)
- Recommending improvements for our data models, reports and dashboards
- Coaching and mentoring our more junior analysts
You should apply if:
- You have a strong background in IFRS9 impairments
- You have extensive experience in developing, validating or monitoring Credit Models
- You have strong analytical skills and a track record of using these to deliver technical projects
- You have a solid technical toolkit. SQL is a must-have, Python is a plus
- You can convey problems and solutions using clear and simple language, both written and verbal (see Monzo’s tone of voice guide). This is particularly important for communicating complex issues and priorities to non-experts
- You're impact driven and eager to have a real positive impact on the company, our products, our users and your team-mates
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You're a team player whom your colleagues can rely on
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 4 main stages:
- Recruiter Call
- Initial Call with the hiring manager
- Take Home Task (SQL)
- Final Stage interviews (x3)
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com
What’s in it for you:
💰 circa £70-110k base salary➕ plus stock options
📍 London (one to two days a week)
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for all of our people to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄