Staff Software Engineer, Data
Lob (View all Jobs)
1. Initial phone screen 2. On-site interview. Technical problems discussed during the interview are all simplified versions of problems we've had to solve in production. Our entire interview process and what we're looking for is described in our blog post How We Interview Engineers.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
As a proud Pledge 1% company, we’re committed to leveraging our product, partnerships, and people to drive positive social impact through Lob.org, and are on a mission to make direct mail more sustainable.
About The Team
Are you a software engineer who loves designing systems which deliver data products? Do you believe that the value of data is most potent when it’s directly aligned with business impact? This is exactly what drives the Lob Data Team: we believe the true power of data is in the products we build with it. And in fact, more broadly, you’ll find data is woven throughout the fabric of virtually everything we do at Lob.
This role will be an instrumental part of existing and future work around data products and the data platform. As a data technologist with a deep well of experience, you will help mentor and grow your teammates, fostering an inclusive environment where we all succeed together. Your voice will help guide stakeholders and drive the larger direction of data at Lob in partnership with data leadership.
As Staff Software Engineer, Data you’ll...
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, working not only inside your team but outside as well, having cross-team impact
- Architect, build, and operate data products which sit at the core of Lob’s business, both internally and externally
- Improve visibility into our data systems, giving our team and external teams, clear views into operational state and confidence in the accuracy and reliability of data
- Deliver a reliable, scalable, and modern data system built on top of industry best practices (we use Airflow, DBT, and a data lake pattern, for example)
- Thrive as a technical leader in a team environment, with experience fostering inclusive success where everyone is brought along
- Improve processes--project management, sprint management, stakeholder visibility--to help the team operate effectively
- Partner with our cross-functional stakeholders to design clear interfaces, such as SLOs and SLAs, that both meet their needs and align the team with our larger strategic vision
What you will bring to this role...
- At least 5 years of experience as a software engineer or data engineer with a focus on delivering data products
- A track record of successful data product delivery in a variety of fast-moving environments. You’ve done engineering work at the senior plus level, solving complex technical challenges at scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them
- Experience working with a modern data stack, including Python, Airflow, DBT, data lake patterns (e.g. S3 and Parquet), Redshift
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them
- Since great technologists come from diverse backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a business setting
- A love for the domain and an appreciation for educating others about the hidden power of data products
We offer remote working opportunities, unless otherwise described in the job description, in AZ, CA, CO, DC, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, UT, and WA. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work, and a ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Flexible vacation policy
- Wellness program
- Paid parental leave
- Paid volunteer time off to support the organizations you care most about
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄