Senior Data Scientist
Gemini (View all Jobs)
New York, New York; Seattle, Washington; San Francisco, California
1. Phone chat 2. Take-home project 3. Discussion on-site. Questions on prior experiences and culture fit
$136,000 - $190,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, ETL, Python
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Trust and Safety
Trust & Safety at Gemini is a team dedicated to stopping bad actors, securing our user’s funds and ensuring the integrity of Gemini’s digital asset marketplace. We are a diverse group of technology, legal, data, and operational professionals who develop new approaches to solving classic problems using cutting edge tools and processes. Data is central to all of our business functions and drive many of our most important decisions at Gemini. As a result, the data analysts and scientists, associates and engineers that make up the Trust & Safety team are uniquely positioned to advise and influence cross-functional projects. These projects cover a wide-range of topics including fiat returns, identifying low quality and fraudulent users, and using on-chain information to support fraud detection.
The Role: Senior Data Scientist
As a member of our Trust and Safety data intelligence and strategy team, you’ll shape the way we approach data at Gemini by using your analytical and communication skills to work with teams across the business. You will focus on customer onboarding, transactions, and payment strategies to lower payment return rates and identify and off-board bad actors from Gemini, as well as manage ad-hoc requests from cross-functional teams. You know how to ask the right questions and are passionate about using data to support and drive informed business decisions. You are ready to roll up your sleeves and are excited to take on challenging opportunities and projects. You’ll work with other data scientists, analysts, engineers, and fraud operators to guide strategies and achieve KPIs while communicating your insights with leaders across the organization.
- Process, clean, and visualize data from complex databases and create top-notch reporting solutions
- Partner with product managers, engineers, fraud operations, and other functions to drive insights for the Trust and Safety team
- Design experimentation frameworks such as decision trees and A/B test models, identify leading indicators of fraud losses, and develop strategies to improve fraud capture rates
- Design, build and enhance dimensional models for BI solutions
- Perform root cause analysis and resolve production and data issues
- Create test plans, test scripts, and perform data validation
- Tune SQL queries, reports, and ETL pipelines
- Build and maintain data dictionary and process documentation
- Research new tools and technologies to improve existing processes
- 5+ years experience in data analytics, strategy analytics or modeling role
- 5+ years experience developing a BI applications (Tableau/Looker/Power BI, etc)
- Advanced skills with SQL are a must
- Proficient in Python
- Experience with one or more MPP databases (Redshift, Bigquery, Snowflake, etc)
- Experience with one or more ETL tools (Informatica, Pentaho, SSIS, etc)
- Experienced in working collaboratively across different teams and departments
- Strong technical and business communication
- This role may require on call rotations
- Proficient in Developing LookML
- Knowledge and experience of financial markets, banking or exchanges
- Experience working in small firms or start up technology first
It Pays to Work Here
The compensation & benefits package for this role includes:
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $136,000 - $190,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄