Betterment (View all Jobs)
Betterment HQ - New York City
1. Phone interview 2. On-site pair programming to simulate a Betterment feature build.
Betterment at Work is a 401(k) service built from the ground up with the needs of the modern employee in mind. It's selected by employers who want to offer their employees tailored and smart financial advice that will help them create a more secure future. Betterment for Business is powered by Betterment's proprietary, smart technology that automates and optimizes asset allocation to enhance financial wellness. As a fiduciary that is independent of the funds it invests in, Betterment believes that everyone has the fundamental right to expert financial advice. In addition to the core investing services, Betterment’s platform includes Betterment Everyday—Betterment’s cash management suite which offers a checking account, debit card, and high-yield account. Headquartered in New York City and created by the largest independent robo-advisor, Betterment for Business is used by leading employers like Casper and Boxed. For more information, visit www.betterment.com/401k.
401(k) plan administration services provided by Betterment for Business LLC. Investment advice to plans and plan participants provided by Betterment LLC, an SEC registered investment adviser. Brokerage services provided to clients of Betterment LLC by Betterment Securities, an SEC registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC. Betterment LLC and Betterment Securities are affiliates of Betterment for Business LLC.
About the Role:
The 401(k) Onboarding Associate's main focus is to help guide Betterment at Work’s clients through a pleasant and efficient onboarding experience.
In this role, the Onboarding Associate will contribute to a cross functional work environment by facilitating a seamless hand off from the sales team and successfully driving a client through to their first payroll launch on the Betterment platform. The onboarding Associate will liaise with the 401(k) compliance team to help design and implement a client’s 401(k) plan design. This role reports into the 401(k) Onboarding Manager.
We are looking to hire this role based in our NYC office location, where we offer hybrid working conditions.
A Day in the Life:
- Own tracking plans in detail during the new plan set up or conversion process
- Review and apply all information relevant to the conversion process of the plan to ensure accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness
- Clearly communicate with and guide our clients through any questions they may have during the onboarding process
- Support the plan conversion process by communicating with other retirement and payroll providers as necessary
- Assist with scheduling and participate (as needed) in client meetings, phone calls, Zooms, and hand-off meetings
- Use systems such as Salesforce, Zendesk, and our proprietary tool Clinic to drive client deliverables
- Partner cross functionally with team members from Compliance, Operations, and Payroll to get clients up and running
What We’re Looking for:
- Expertise with customer service or financial services, specializing in 401(k) plan lifecycle and administration
- Experience in retirement services and/or B2B onboarding environments is a plus!
- Interest in becoming a subject matter expert in finance and 401(k)
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems while simultaneously communicating with clients
- Exceptional written communication skills and ability to build rapport - you will speak with our clients through email and over the phone
- Experience working with CRM and project management systems (For example: Zendesk, Salesforce, Asana, etc.)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄