Backend Engineer, Growth Engineering
Stripe (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Remote North America
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Our Growth team is on a mission to acquire, convert and grow millions of merchants globally across Stripe’s full suite of financial products. We are a cross functional team of engineers, scientists, marketers, designers and product managers that deliver the insights, algorithms, internal systems and tools, and user-facing experiences that fuel Stripe’s growth. In short we make it easy for people to act on their interest in Stripe.
As part of the Growth Engineering team, you will build and own the back-end systems, data and machine learning driven products, internal tools, and customer-facing experiences that power intelligence behind our go-to-market and product-led growth. This includes building our ML powered recommendations and growth experimentation engine(s), multi-channel notifications systems, and key growth-related customer experiences (e.g., onboarding flow, dashboard modules).
What you’ll do
- Partner closely with other engineers and scientists to build highly scalable, ML driven system(s), help run experiments, and surface insights across all points of customer interactions.
- Design, build, and maintain business-critical services and APIs
- Scope, design, and lead technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack with an eye towards improving maintainability over the long term
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Interact with product and business leaders to help develop and execute on a data-first growth strategy that scales with Stripe
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 5+ years experience in backend engineering
- You are an expert in building and maintaining highly available and scalable systems
- You have excellent oral and written communication
- You have proven ability to thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Experience with machine learning, recommender systems, product-led growth, and/or lifecycle marketing
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄