Engineering Manager - Securities
Carta (View all Jobs)
New York, NY
1. Chat with recruiter 2. Chat with one of our engineering leaders 3. Take home assignment that is not timed ( thinking about code production quality in arriving to a solution) 4. Virtual onsite (5 sessions: take home follow up discussion, architecture and design white boarding, chat with a product manager, chat about teamwork, and another meeting with hiring manager ~ about 4 hours) 5. Team matching (non-evaluative)
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to unlock the power of equity ownership for more people in more places.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. For more information, visit carta.com.
The Team You’ll Work With
You will be leading the Equity Platform - Securities team. Our goal is to provide uniform performant access to structured & accurate securities data. This team is responsible for building APIs that power how we store and expose information around various securities to power our core Cap Table product. You will partner with product and engineering teams across the organization to publish APIs to Carta’s platform and work with business teams to cultivate our ecosystem, roadmap, and support strategies.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As an Engineering Manager in Equity Platform, you’ll execute in one of the most dynamic roles Carta engineering has to offer. Here’s a few examples of the problems you’ll be asked to solve:
- Assess technical risk: Your experience will be a major factor in empowering your team to isolate, and reduce, technical risk. You will fill blind spots for your engineers, helping form the critical bridge between business, product, and engineering.
- Drive accountability: Building more owners is as much of a Carta product problem, as it is part of a manager’s responsibilities. You will work with stakeholders to better understand the needs of the business, and with your team to create realistic expectations for project success.
- Establish best practices: Engineering managers are the last line of defense for quality control, best practices and effective design strategies. Helping your team, and peer teams, navigate these challenges is core to the problem space for managers.
- Improve performance: Your team is a reflection of you, your values, and your support. Your team will need regular mentorship, advice and feedback to operate effectively. Contributing to this space along with your leadership team, is part of effective management at Carta.
- Expand collaboration: Business unit organizational models benefit from speed and autonomy, but absorb known trade-offs in company-wide collaboration. Engineering managers are the hedge against that trade-off, bringing teams and engineers across Carta together.
- People: Carta has a great team today. We’re growing, and that means hiring. You will work with other engineering leaders in the IS team to discover, interview, and recruit great team members and build them up into the next all star player.
We’re looking for someone rare in this role, and we’re willing to take our time to find this person. Ideally, you’re a human- but we’ll avoid making any qualifications on your species. Instead, we’ll talk about what inspires us about you:
- You care deeply about software and the leverage that software brings. You can use your past experience building software to show your team the way in which they can improve our customer’s leverage
- You are energized by, and capable of, super-charging the careers of those that report to you. You’ve been able to help mentor more junior engineers, and support more senior engineers in reaching their potential. You’ve directly managed teams for at least 2 years.
- You’ve expanded the worldview of your teams, celebrated diversity of thought and background, and tied it all back through successful product launches in your past.
- You recognize the power of ownership, and have lived examples of where ownership played central roles in your career- through software and through business.
- You are willing and capable of getting in the trenches alongside your fellow engineers and reports. You lead by example, and take pride in your work.
- You are exceptionally technical. You can describe complex ideas simply. You are just as capable working toward a long term road map as you are jumping into a fire to solve a customer’s problem 5 minutes from now.
- You are as hungry to learn about our customers and business as you are about the latest stack or Docker release.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄