Staff Site Reliability Engineer
Gemini (View all Jobs)
New York, New York; Portland, Oregon; Chicago, Illinois; Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; Remote
1. Phone chat 2. Take-home project 3. Discussion on-site. Questions on prior experiences and culture fit
Programming Languages Mentioned
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Platform
Our Platform Organization’s purpose is to enable Gemini to scale effectively and empower our engineering teams to focus on building innovative financial products and experiences for individuals around the world. Platform focuses around building a scalable and secure foundations platform, enabling Engineering to deploy, validate, and operate their services in production, improve resiliency of the service and increase organizational efficiency by reducing operational toil and increase system efficiency through architectural evolution.
THE ROLE: Staff Site Reliability Engineer
The Embedded SRE team is a part of Site Reliability Engineering with a focus on engaging directly with our other engineering teams to onboard them onto our platform systems, reviewing and recommending design and architectural decisions, and guiding our engineering teams on how to implement the tooling provided by the larger Platform organization required to ensure systems can scale and react to changing conditions, with continuous improvement loops. You will be an integral part of leading Gemini’s engineering teams towards modern DevOps practices, both by developing and providing modern automation and operational tooling and working cross functionally across Gemini’s engineering teams to influence and shape our development practices and culture.
- Guiding engineering teams onto the various supported services provided by Platform
- Running on-going performance evaluations and improvements for Gemini systems
- Architecture recommendations and engagement as part of SDLC
- Creating “Production-ready Scorecards” to evaluate the health of systems pre-launch
- Implementing and teaching monitoring, alerting and automated resolution best practices
- Defining SLIs, SLOs with Engineering teams
- Educating and guiding Engineering teams on reliability and resiliency best practices, like statelessness, chaos, etc.
- Building operational tooling and automations
- 7+ years using monitoring, alerting, and automation tooling to understand and remediate performance and health issues in systems at scale
- Experience in a code-first environment, developing automated solutions to solve support and operational issues
- Experience as a Technical Leader within a team, helping evaluating and making tech decisions for the team.
- Experience working with containerization such as Nomad, EKS (k8s), Docker, etc.
- Experience working with Configuration Management such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet.
- Experience writing scripts or cli tools that help increase Developer Productivity.
- Experience in analyzing system and application performance, identifying bottlenecks, and recommending architectural or systemic improvements
- Experience working with Engineering teams, teaching, training, and mentoring on how to implement best-practice technical solutions
- Experience working in a code-drive, automation-first public cloud infrastructure
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄