Staff Fullstack Engineer, Accounts Experience
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Accounts team is building products and APIs to help businesses gain valuable insights and build deeper relationships with their customers. A strong foundation of interoperable APIs is critical to Stripe’s long-term success. It’s important that we get the APIs that businesses use to model their customers right: that we understand how businesses think about their relationships and that we ensure that integrating against our APIs is nothing short of an amazing experience. We are applying Stripe’s developer-centric approach to building the flexible, programmable representation of humans and businesses that map across Stripe’s existing products.
The Accounts Experience team is responsible for delivering best-in class user experience that reflects business needs and enables new economic models for startups, multi-entity users and others. We aim to make it easy for customers of all sizes to create, view and manage accounts, identity and access.
What you’ll do:
We are looking for technical leaders who are excited to work across these domains, driving the technical vision for how Stripe will both build these foundations and build on top of them to deliver higher-level products for our users. As a full stack engineer on Accounts engineering, you’ll have the opportunity to work on all parts of the product stack, from shaping the API ergonomics to user-facing experience
- Scope and lead complex technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products that need to iteratively evolve and scale
- Skills in gathering and effectively synthesizing user feedback and experience with user facing products and APIs
- Thought about systems and services and written high quality code.
- Experienced in building and using backend frameworks to create GraphQL backends for single page web applications
- Experienced with complexities of building and deploying a large web application to users across the world
- Held themselves and others to a high bar for quality when shipping products
- Taken pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrived in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoyed working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Previously been in a technical leadership or staff/principal engineer role driving technical work for a large group of engineers.
- Demonstrated track record of solving deep technical problems
- Experience building multiple single page web applications that have reached hundreds of thousands of users and/or have had hundreds of contributors.
- Experience collaborating across engineering teams that are customers as well as teams that your team depends on
- A strong sense of what excellent web-based experiences look like, how they behave, and how to build them
- Experience mentoring senior engineers.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject-matter experts, and you want to become a subject-matter expert yourself
- Are comfortable with goals that are ambiguous, and can help drive them towards clarity by defining metrics and investigating analytics as needed
- Are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations
- It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄