Engineering Manager, Banking as a Service
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Seattle, San Francisco, New York, US Remote
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe builds economic infrastructure for the internet. We’re moving beyond payments and “up the stack” to help our users run their businesses more effectively. Issuing is developing new APIs to empower businesses to launch physical and virtual card programs. We aim to help businesses deploy novel use cases that rely on fully programmable payment instruments.
What you'll do
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead a key pillar for our Issuing organization. You’ll be responsible for expanding and developing the team. You’ll drive pillar vision and roadmap. You’ll lead our coordination with product teams, operations teams, and other engineering teams at Stripe. We’re looking for a leader with a strong background in building scalable products; we need someone who is comfortable in a fast-moving environment with lots of moving pieces.
- Recruit, hire, scale, and develop an amazing team of engineers
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions for an emerging business
- Iterate rapidly on features, tooling, and processes as we launch first versions of new products
- Work closely with our users and financial partners on a daily basis
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, user-facing experiences, services, and systems
- Engineer solutions across systems such as core money-movement infrastructure, data pipelines, banking systems, and more
- Leverage the best of Stripe’s stack or build from the ground up when prudent
- Debug production issues across services at multiple levels of the stack
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- You have built new, diverse teams to tackle challenging technical problems
- You have at least 3 years of engineering management experience and 10 years of overall software development experience
- You thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- You think of yourself as entrepreneurial and enjoy moving quickly on new, green-field products
- You hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise. Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers, to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄