Staff Engineer, Banking as a Service
Stripe (View all Jobs)
New York City, San Francisco, Seattle, Remote (North America)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
About Stripe and the team
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
What you'll do
We’re looking for a seasoned technical leader to help architect Issuing’s future foundations. As a staff engineer on Issuing, you’ll work with engineering managers, senior engineers, and cross-functional partners to design the technical underpinnings of the product. At the same time, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty building key systems and expanding our card program offerings.
Issuing is one of Stripe’s biggest bets. The right technical leadership will allow us to scale faster and more reliably as our business accelerates. If that sounds exciting, we’d love to speak with you.
- Identify, scope, and lead large technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- You have a strong technical background, including 8+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- You are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations
- You have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- You measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- You internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentoring and growing engineers
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs, Legal and Accounting to understand how global policies influence our money-movement infrastructure, etc.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄