Firmware Engineering Intern
Samsara (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally, have 2.3 million IoT devices deployed globally, and collect more than 85 billion minutes of video footage and 4.6 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About the role:
We are looking for talented students to join our Firmware Engineering teams! Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, Linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As a Firmware Engineering Intern at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on millions of devices, and is deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle obstacles including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors, building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into isolated events.
Here are a few of our Firmware Engineering teams that are hiring interns this Summer. These Summer 2023 roles will be based in our San Francisco office.
- Safety Camera - The team works on our onboard dual-facing cameras that capture both the road and the driver to enable playback and ML-powered event detection.
- Vehicle Diagnostics - The team works on understanding how each customer vehicle behaves so that we can integrate deeply into the vehicle systems of a variety of passenger and heavy-duty trucks.
- Vehicle Gateways - The team works on connecting hundreds of thousands of our customer’s vehicles to the Samsara Cloud, providing real-time location, vehicle data, and connectivity for other Samsara devices in the vehicle.
- Connected Sites - The team works on capturing worksite activity and videos to automatically detect worker behavior, occupancy, and general safety.
We use C for our MCU-based platforms, Golang for embedded applications on Linux-based gateways and backend services, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and Python to do deep data analysis.
You should apply if:
- You want to make a difference: The software, firmware, and hardware you build will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You build for scale: Samsara already has more than 2.3 million IoT devices deployed globally with customers that depend on our technology and look forward to the new solutions brought about by our engineers’ innovation. You may work on a mature product that is operating at a large scale already or a product in the early stages that is still being developed.
- You believe customers are more than a number: Samsara engineers enjoy a rare closeness to the end user and you will have the opportunity to participate in customer interviews, collaborate with customer success and product managers, and use metrics to ensure our work is translating into better customer outcomes.
- You crave technical ownership: The development of our Connected Operations Cloud technology has only just begun and offers a range of technical challenges that will sharpen your skills and provide opportunities for rapid career growth.
This may not be the right role for you if:
- You aren’t willing to put in the work: The opportunity we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious, and innovative ideas for our customers.
- You have nothing more to learn: Every Samsarian has a growth mindset and believes that what got us here won’t get us there.
- You aren’t a team player: Working on our Samsara Engineering teams requires a mix of independent effort and collaboration. Motivated by our mission, we’re all racing toward our connected operations vision, and we intend to win—together.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
An ideal candidate also:
- Will complete a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field between Fall/Winter 2023 - Summer 2024
- Has previously built or worked on production applications
- Enjoys understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
- Will be available for 10-13 weeks in San Francisco starting in May/June
- Is a champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄