Software Engineer (New Grad)
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
As a Software Engineer at Samsara, you will design and develop features across a broad surface area with a tangible impact on active and future customers. You’ll tackle engineering challenges ranging from architecting data structures for mass data collection to presenting data analytics in intuitive and performant ways on web and mobile.
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
We are looking for talented engineers to join our backend, frontend, full-stack, and mobile infrastructure teams!
- Backend Infrastructure engineers design and develop the infrastructure that powers Samsara’s IoT platform. You will work on scaling our data ingestion and storage systems to support more and more connected devices, and work with engineers throughout the company to make new types of data analysis possible.
- Full-stack, Frontend engineers develop user interfaces that present the data collected from thousands of devices in intuitive ways. You will work directly with the design and product teams to identify solutions and iterate quickly based on feedback. The features you build will provide actionable insights for our customers’ operations, and may involve anything from design systems to performance engineering.
- Full-stack, Backend engineers design and develop features across a broad surface area with tangible impact on active and future customers. You will tackle engineering challenges ranging from architecting data structures for mass data collection to presenting data analytics in intuitive and performant ways on web and mobile.
- Mobile infrastructure engineers work on the critical infrastructure behind our React Native application. Your tools will enable feature teams to iterate quickly, and empower them to write performant and maintainable code.
In this role, you may work on:
- A system that optimizes routes for fleets of vehicles that drive a million miles per week
- Live rendering and animating thousands of vehicles concurrently on country-scale maps
- Video processing and automatically classifying dangerous driving behavior with our internet-connected dashboard camera
- Using driving quality metrics computed from vehicle sensor data to gamify the driver experience
- Creating a driver messaging platform end to end, from bringing up services to staged mobile app rollouts
An ideal candidate also:
- Has a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Has built or worked on production applications
- Enjoys understanding our users and what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
- Champions, role models, and embeds Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄