Senior Software Engineer
RStudio (View all Jobs)
USA - Remote
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
R, C++, Python
Senior Software Engineer, Workbench
RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain. As a Public Benefit Corporation, we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
About the team:
The Workbench team builds our professional server product, which serves data science IDE sessions to enterprise users and scales data science tools across large clusters. We work closely with the RStudio IDE team. We develop Workbench primarily in C++.
Data scientists use our tools to build R and Python applications used in the fight against COVID-19, in academia, business analytics, research, and anywhere data is important. We are passionate about creating the world’s best software for professional data science.
You’re a well-rounded senior software engineer with plenty of experience developing multithreaded server applications in C++ on Linux, among other languages. You share our commitment to building great software, and you have an appreciation for clean code that is easy to understand. Data science experience is not required to join the Workbench team. Along the way, you’ll develop an understanding of the domain. If you're excited about this job, please apply. Even if you aren't sure if you meet each qualification for the role, we want to hear from you. We look at your career as a whole, not a checklist.
What you’ll own:
- development of Workbench features for launching and managing data science sessions in a cluster (C++, Linux)
- architectural design and implementation for your features
- gathering stakeholder feedback about features
What you’ll help with:
- influencing what we build, and how we build it
- simplifying the installation and administration of Workbench
- improving our build system (Jenkins, build scripts, container image creation); DevOps experience is helpful (CI/CD pipelines, containers, Kubernetes, AWS).
- creating automated tests
- user interface design
- supporting enterprise IDE and Workbench users
What you’ll teach:
- multithreaded programming techniques
- solid programming practices
What you’ll learn:
- an appreciation for data science workflows, and how data science teams work
- practical data science using R and Python – with the opportunity and resources for mastery
- cloud infrastructure and devops for build / test / deployment using Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS cloud
You will have implemented your first couple of small features or bug fixes. Your development environment will be set up, and you will be comfortable with the basic development process of the team.
You will have started to build up an understanding of the needs of RStudio Workbench administrators. You may have identified a particular area of the product where you want to take a deeper dive and eventually take ownership of that area. You are participating in supporting customers with another member of the team leading the effort. You are contributing to the code reviews of other team members, particularly for your areas of expertise.
You provide extensive design and code review feedback on the features of other team members. You are comfortable working in one or two major areas of the product and are building up knowledge of the rest. You are comfortable taking the lead in supporting customers. You have an understanding of our build and automated test system and are able to investigate failures and add new features and automated tests to them.
- RStudio is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means our open-source mission is codified into our charter. As a result, our corporate decisions balance the community's interests, customers, employees, and shareholders. Hear more about why we think this matters here.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to creating a supportive and diverse company.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you, and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique, sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open-source software. As a result, we are profitable, and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- RStudio’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Boston office. We offer an allowance to help set up your remote office.
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄