Navigation Quality Engineer
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
Remote, United States
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
The Navigation team are proud builders of solutions to challenges in the routing space for industries like auto, logistics, outdoors and more. We solve complex geospatial data problems and leverage algorithms and statistical analysis for use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation, to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses. We get people and products from start to finish effectively and on time, whether it’s delivering meals or going on a road trip. Our customers are primarily developers, like us.
What We Do
The goal of the Navigation and Logistics Quality Management team is to ensure that the products we build for developers ultimately provide accurate, reliable and safe navigation experiences for their end-users. Our team contributes to the company vision of powering navigation for people, packages and vehicles everywhere by ensuring that Mapbox’s Navigation products result in user satisfaction and loyalty. We help teams focus on building new features by creating systems that build operational excellence and lay a scalable foundation for growth. By investing in field testing and high-quality data collection by our own team, we work to develop strong opinions about what it means to produce high quality navigation products for our customers. By investing in process, we work to establish strong and scalable systems for surfacing, prioritizing, and acting on this feedback. If we are successful, every Navigation team will have access to valuable information that enhances their ability to both define and execute their product roadmaps.
What You’ll Do
- Maintain a clear and ideal communication loop between internal and external customers
- Consistently and efficiently manage bug reporting across Mapbox Dash Products
- Test reported Dash issues in-vehicle, and complete proactive testing ahead of releases
- Identify and record defects, assess their severity and analyze steps to reproduction
- Support navigation data quality initiatives
- 40% Drive Testing, 60% Administration
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience in Software Engineering or Support Engineering with a customer-first approach
- Exposure to working with engineering and product management teams as part of the software development process
- A valid driver’s license
- Exceptional written communication and technical writing skills in English
- A strong opinion about what makes an excellent navigation experience
- A passion for operational excellence and quality improvement
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to work in ambiguous environments
- Familiarity with Python, Kotlin or other programming languages
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
If you feel that this position is close to you:
Fill out and submit the form at the bottom of this page.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄