Engineering Manager, Service Platform
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US / Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Service Framework empowers all Stripe developers to build and ship products efficiently and reliably on a services platform. This central team ensures that platform decisions are globally optimal and aligned with Stripe’s long term goals, collaborating with many infra teams to lead or support company-wide initiatives.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager within the Service Platform organization, you will lead the Service Framework team and collaborate with infra orgs to advance Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) adoption at Stripe.
- Work on a high-visibility team with a significant impact on the company’s infra initiatives.
- Work with leaders across the company to create and drive toward the longer term vision of Stripe’s services roadmap.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Lead and manage processes to help infra teams do their best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- At least 3 years of experience managing teams that shipped and operated critical distributed system infrastructure.
- Works effectively cross-functionally and is able to think rigorously, communicate effectively, and make or coordinate hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Thrives with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility in an ambiguous environment.
- Technical enough to drive clarity with staff engineers about architecture and technical strategic decisions.
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both challenging and supportive.
- Reason and operate from first principles, on both management and technical aspects of the position, balanced with pragmatism depending on context.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for different audiences (leadership, users, company-wide).
- Effectively managed stakeholder and partner relationships.
- Experience changing culture across large organizations.
- Experience across a variety of infra systems.
- Experience building products with static and dynamically typed programming languages.
- Experience managing staff or principal engineers.
- Productively lead fully remote teams.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄