Data Engineer, Maps
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
In 2019, Mapbox made a considerable investment in the platform to support the Japanese market, including the integration of best-in-class Zenrin data and supporting the launch of Yahoo! JAPAN’s new maps for millions of people. Today, the demand for Mapbox in Japan is growing as we become the leading Japanese platform for maps and locations.
Why should you join us?
- Are you obsessed with solving customer problems with data?
- Do you want to gain experience working with vast amounts of data on a large scale?
- Do you want to architect and help build with cutting edge technologies?
- Do you want to work as a part of the international world-class global engineering team?
What You'll Do?
- Will be responsible for the new data ingestion dedicated for Japan
- Work with the Mapbox US engineers and also help build a Japan-specific process
- Conduct research and development for alternative map data sources in order to improve map data quality
- Analyze incoming data and provide expert knowledge in Mapbox Studio and map design for Japan
- Support data QA for the incoming data from Zenrin and help update the data for Zenrin Roads
- Process the change requests coming from our major customers and apply them to the map
- Provide private or custom tilesets for enterprise customers
- Work with minimal supervision and collaborate well within and outside of the team
What We Believe Are Important Traits for This Role
- Business level Japanese and English are required
- Experience in Python
- Experience in AWS
- Experience working with Pyspark, Airflow or similar tools
- The ability to work in fast pace environment with minimum supervision
- Being open to learning new tools and programming languages when necessary
Note: Prior experience in geospatial data is NOT required.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
MAPBOX WILL NOT ACCEPT CANDIDATE INTRODUCTIONS FROM 3RD PARTY RECRUITMENT AGENCIES FOR THIS POSITION.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄