Backend/ API Engineer, Bank Network
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Bank Network is a brand new team with global responsibilities. The team sits within Stripe’s Payments organization and its mission is to create the network that virtualizes the global banking system, providing the rails and banking capabilities to power and build innovative products and services.
We’re building the next generation of payments products ranging from bank transfers, open banking, top ups, etc. Our mission is to reduce the cost and friction of accepting money into Stripe’s Global Payments and Treasury Network (GPTN).
What you’ll do
Backend Engineers at Stripe are comfortable working on new products under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations.
- Scope and lead large technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Design, build, expand and maintain APIs and services
- Work with our partners to launch new markets, payment methods, and capabilities
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have a strong technical background, including 5+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- Understand good practices of building and working with APIs
- Measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code Internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Care deeply about mentorship and growing engineers and managers
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs, Legal and Accounting to understand how global policies influence our money-moving infrastructure, etc.
- Have experience in ensuring great user experience and ease of use of features and products you build.
- Have experience with financial product companies and interest in financial products and markets.
- Served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄