Staff Software Engineer - Backend
Ramp (View all Jobs)
New York, Miami, Remote
1. Phone interview on a basic applied problem 2. Followed by 2-3 onsite programming interviews that test practical day-to-day software skills.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Ramp is building the next generation of finance tools—from corporate cards and expense management, to bill payments and accounting integrations—designed to save businesses time and money with every click. More than 10,000 customers cut their expenses by 3.5% per year and closing their books 8x faster by switching to the Ramp platform.
Founded in 2019, Ramp powers the fastest-growing corporate card and bill payment software in America and enables billions of dollars of purchases each year. Ramp continues to grow at an increasingly large scale, more than doubling its revenue run rate in the first half of 2022.
Valued at $8.1 billion, Ramp's investors include Founders Fund, Stripe, Citi, Goldman Sachs, Coatue Management, D1 Capital Partners, Redpoint Ventures, General Catalyst, and Thrive Capital, as well as over 100 angel investors who were founders or executives of leading companies. The Ramp team comprises talented leaders from leading financial services and fintech companies—Stripe, Affirm, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Capital One—as well as technology companies such as Meta, Uber, Netflix, Twitter, Dropbox, and Instacart. Ramp was named Fast Company’s most innovative finance company in 2022.
About the Role
In this role, you will be an advocate and coach for your team while solving various backend challenges, doing hands-on coding, and scaling product success at a fast paced start up. Our ideal candidate leverages their leadership, technical expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help establish the team’s vision and see it through.
We’re looking for someone with a deep understanding of backend engineering with a passion for performance and scale. You should also be strong at identifying and building the right abstractions to support other engineers. Engineering Management or Tech Leadership experience is a plus.
Check out our Engineering Blog for more on our tech stack, mission and values!
What You’ll Do
- Help lead (and — if you’re up for it — manage) a team of highly skilled backend engineers while coaching, mentoring, and advocating for them
- Collaborate on our technical vision
- Lead discussions and implementation of multiple complex projects
- Continuously improve our engineering processes, tools, and systems that allow us to scale the code base, productivity, and the team
- Proactively engage with your peers and managers to provide and solicit feedback
- Recruit, interview and develop your own interview questions, while fostering the culture of excellence, velocity and humility
What You'll Need
- A minimum of 7 years of backend engineering experience
- A minimum of 3 years of technical leadership experience leading and/or managing teams
- Proficiency in Python, Go, or Java
- A track record of shipping high-quality products and leading projects at scale
- An ability to turn business and product ideas into engineering solutions
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment, continuously grow, and master your craft
- Alignment with Ramp’s core values of enabling businesses to grow more by spending less
Nice to Have
- Experience developing Automation tools and frameworks
- Experience building tools for developers
Ramp Benefits (for U.S. based employees)
- 100% medical, dental & vision insurance coverage for you
- Partially covered for your dependents
- OneMedical annual membership
- 401k (including employer match)
- Unlimited PTO
- Annual education reimbursement
- WFH stipend to support your home office needs
- Monthly wellness stipend; Headspace annual membership
- Parental Leave
- Relocation support
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄