Koala (View all Jobs)
1. Phone screen 2. Open-ended take-home coding challenge 3. Pair Programming exercise 4. Meet the CEO and the rest of team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Koala is a commerce platform with a focus on premium ordering channels for hospitality brands. Our products allow restaurants to directly serve their customers while driving more revenue and greater guest satisfaction. We work with some of the world’s most-loved restaurant brands and fastest-growing new concepts!
Koala is seeking a Frontend Focused Engineering Manager to join our team of talented engineers, designers, and product managers in building products that make ordering simple and enjoyable. The perfect candidate is a natural problem solver and leader who is dedicated to product and code quality.
The Engineering Manager will manage and scale a distributed team of engineers focused on improving the tools that restaurants use to configure and customize the Koala platform to match their unique branding and features.
THIS ROLE IS FOR YOU IF...
- You are the type of leader that puts their team first while being a positive and encouraging presence
- You are team oriented and prefer working closely with other disciplines in a fast paced and innovative environment
- You are excited about the prospect of helping build complex and infinitely configurable web applications that are used by millions of customers
- You consider the nuances of building modern web applications including thinking about accessibility, testing, code readability, documentation, security, performance, and data integrity concerns
- You have a bias to action and a desire to empower individuals on the team to perform at their best
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Managing a distributed team of 3 to 4 engineers located across different time zones in the US
- Collaborating with product managers, designers, and other leaders to deliver results
- Helping improve and evolve our web ordering application and our restaurant admin portals
- Removing obstacles that impact your team’s productivity and building a high-performing team
- Spending a significant part of your time helping engineers thrive and grow through coaching, evaluating performances, scheduling regular 1:1s, and supporting career plans
- Participating in daily code reviews and establishing systemic changes to improve our technical diligence
- Facilitating technical design decisions and driving the team to their best technical abilities
- Spending ~15% of your time contributing code and focusing that effort on understanding the blockers to delivery and how to improve the experience for your engineers
- Expanding our impact by interviewing and hiring great engineers and other co-workers
- Building a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Exhibiting good judgment, seeking out diverse perspectives, and challenging business and technical assumptions
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering management role and 4+ years of experience as an individual contributor (preferably as a frontend or full stack engineer)
- Experience managing and scaling distributed teams across various time zones
- Proven coaching ability, including strong communication, emotional IQ, and prioritization skills
- Experience in planning and delivering experimental features, and overseeing execution to deliver with predictability
- Experience in implementing tools, processes, and resolving blockages
EVEN BETTER IF YOU...
- Have experience working in the food-ordering space
- Have a passion for learning new technologies and new programming languages
- Want to continue growing as a leader through both structured and self-driven learning
WE USE & TEACH:
- React, Redux, Sagas, Styled Components
- AWS, Docker
- Datadog, Sentry
- Figma, Jira
Koala is dedicated to hiring a diverse and highly skilled talent base and as such is committed to EEO practices. Koala provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄