Systems Infrastructure Engineer, Service Networking
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Seattle or Remote (North America)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
C++, C, Python
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Service Networking team’s mission is to streamline and accelerate the onboarding and configuration of the network for all of Stripe’s service teams so they can focus on building their applications.
The Service Networking team at Stripe has two broad responsibilities:
- The first is to design, build and operate services and infrastructure for nearly all of Stripe. It owns a “Service Discovery” system that makes it possible for applications to find each other in Stripe’s internal network and a Service Mesh that makes it easy to interconnect modern applications in Stripe’s network with security, observability, failure handling, and traffic shaping.
- The second is to design and implement Stripe’s low-level cloud network systems. Our vision is to build a center of excellence for designing and implementing Stripe’s low-level network systems, cloud based architecture and tooling.
What you’ll do
As a network systems engineer, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of Stripe’s cloud-based networks. This will involve work at many different layers of the network, from designing & implementing layer 3 networks to building and maintaining critical layer 7 authenticating proxies. You will also be responsible for developing tooling and supporting Service Mesh and Service Discovery and streamlining the operational load.
- Build a great customer experience for internal Stripe teams using your infrastructure
- Design, build, and maintain Stripe’s cloud networks
- Work on scaling, automation, reliability and observability of critical network services
- Operate your service, debug issues, and support customers
- Participate in roadmap planning and prioritization
- Onboard new engineers and present brown bag sessions to share your knowledge
- Develop self-service tooling for users to troubleshoot networking issues for their service
- Develop effective mechanisms to troubleshoot low level networking issues.
- Streamline onboarding experience for customers to Mesh and Service discovery
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- 2+ years of professional experience in a software development role
- Experience using one of the major cloud providers - AWS/Azure/OCI/GCP
- Experience with Linux OS
- A strong engineering background in infrastructure services
- Experience developing, maintaining and debugging networking systems
- Experience with ops culture and a deep understanding of metrics, alarms, and dashboards
- A strong engineering background and interest in systems challenges at scale
- Experience in Go, C++, Python, C or similar languages; YAML, AWS, and Linux
- Experience with scaling and migrating systems in a changing environment that allows for little to no downtime
- Experience working with technologies such as Linux networking, DNS, IPAM, firewalls, routing, proxies
- Experience troubleshooting and optimizing network protocols such as TCP, UDP, IPsec
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄