(Senior) Data Engineer (m/f/d)
Artsy (View all Jobs)
1. Informal chat 2. Application 3. Phone screen 4. In-person interview with 1 lead, 2 individual contributors and 1 non-engineer (30-45 mins each), focusing on your work habits and expertise as demonstrated in your previous work 5. ~4 in-depth professional reference calls (30-45 mins each).
Programming Languages Mentioned
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are looking for an experienced (Senior) Data Engineer who will help develop the analytics and machine learning pipelines that support Artsy’s business operations and product features. This can involve challenges in data warehousing, orchestration, and infrastructure. Data has always been core to Artsy’s marketplace strategy, and this role will be responsible for shaping the tools, practices, and workflows that are needed for our next phase of growth.
The Data Platform team enables Artsy’s other engineering teams to develop reliable products quickly, by ensuring quality data and robust tooling. We release continuously, test often, and have a focus on monitoring and observability.
We are a lean team that relies on Airflow for orchestration, DBT for data modelling, Sagemaker for ML, Spark for data processing, and Redshift for warehousing. We integrate with services like Segment and Looker to accomplish our work, and are always evaluating new patterns, tools, and technologies.
As a data engineer you’ll architect systems for scale, focusing on data quality and platform reliability. You’ll help structure our data so it’s an invaluable asset in our dynamic business environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Implement pipelines that extract, transform and load data for product, analytics and operations use cases.
- Develop the tooling that enables our product engineers to enrich and transform the data needed to power our product features.
- Identify best practices for data modelling, by working closely with our analytics team on performance tuning, data quality and reliability.
- Collaborate with our machine learning engineers to deploy their workflows at scale.
Who You Are:
- You’ve worked on data processing or enrichment at a large scale, and are familiar with Python, DBT, Airflow, or similar tools.
- You have some familiarity with the Hadoop ecosystem (e.g. PySpark, Parquet).
- You have experience with cloud based deployment environments, using tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, or equivalent.
- You understand best practices in data modelling and warehousing.
- You value collaboration within teams, and you have experience building relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- You have 3+ years of experience working in an agile environment.
- You are currently authorized to live and work in London or Berlin.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: our culture or trust and empowerment allows employees to take the time they need away from work while still excelling in their roles
- We are a global hybrid team: most employees work from home several days per week and come into our NYC, London, or Berlin offices flexibly based on team or role needs (in-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Benefit options, including: German language subscription, global travel insurance, mental health resources, fitness and virtual workout resources, fertility and parenthood support, standard pension & healthcare enrollment, parental and medical paid leave, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄