Software Engineer - New Product Development
Lob (View all Jobs)
1. Initial phone screen 2. On-site interview. Technical problems discussed during the interview are all simplified versions of problems we've had to solve in production. Our entire interview process and what we're looking for is described in our blog post How We Interview Engineers.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
As a proud Pledge 1% company, we’re committed to leveraging our product, partnerships, and people to drive positive social impact through Lob.org, and are on a mission to make direct mail more sustainable.
This is a unique opportunity to join a growing startup and make an incredible impact on the team. Lob’s mission is to turn slow and manual offline processes into timely, relevant and personalized communication channels.
We work with a variety of technologies, including: Node, Docker, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch, Elixir, a number of native services on AWS, and much more. You’ll bring your enthusiasm for working on new applications, excitement to work with a team of talented engineers, and the drive to succeed.
As the Software Engineer, you’ll…
- Work with Product Management and other Engineers to research, design, and implement new features and products
- Build prototypes that cover 80% of the goal with 20% of the effort so we know what new features to invest in
- Work on greenfield initiatives in an effort to create additional products
- Work with Customer Success and Support to troubleshoot customer issues
- Run tests and experiments to improve how our users leverage our products
What will you bring to this role…
- 2+ years of overall experience in full stack software engineering roles. NodeJS experience is a big plus.
- Passion about building new products
- Eagerness to dig into data and surface new learnings
- Expertise in design patterns and best practices
- Exceptional collaboration and communication. You know how to balance having strong opinions with actively listening to others.
- (optional) Experience working on Research and Design or other new product development teams or initiatives
At Lob, we are looking to #LevelUp and #EmpowerDiversity, we invite you to apply if you possess even some of these:
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that meeting just 50% of a role’s requirements puts you in the running.
We offer remote working opportunities, unless otherwise described in the job description, in AZ, CA, CO, DC, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, UT, and WA. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work, and a ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Flexible vacation policy
- Wellness program
- Paid parental leave
- Paid volunteer time off to support the organizations you care most about
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄