Senior Hardware Engineer
Spot AI (View all Jobs)
Hayward, California, United States
1. Hiring Manager Sync (30 mins), discussing candidate's background 2. Executive Interview (30 mins, Engineering Managers only) - Talk with the CEO to learn about company vision. 3. Tech Screen (60-75 minutes, no coding) - Project exploration : Diving into a recent project the candidate has worked on, talking about different tech decisions and trade-offs made. Also discuss lessons learned and more. System Design: Using a feature we've already built, we'll ask you how you might go about building it. How would you design it? What trade-offs are important to you? Managers: Discuss a project you recently led a team through and we'll spend time in system design talking about how the work might be parallelized, broken down, etc 4. Product Interview (30-45 min) - Convo focused on how the candidate views the engineering/PM relationship and how they bring customer focus to their work 5. Hiring Manager Interview (45 min) : For Engineering managers - questions covering candidate's management philosophy and approach. For Individual Contributors: Questions covering how you work with your colleagues. How you resolve conflicts, actions you take to foster a safe and inclusive environment. 6. Optional interview for individual contributors (read Step 2)
Who We Are:
Founded in 2018 by a group of engineers from Stanford, Cisco Meraki, and Samsara, Spot AI was created to deliver on the mission of visually indexing the physical world and empowering people at work with video. Now we’re a group of almost 100 (and counting!) Spotans who support hundreds of customers like Cheeseman, Mixt and Northland Cold Storage, and thousands of daily users.
In 2021, Spot AI scaled bookings 10x and is continuing to grow aggressively. Backed by Redpoint, Bessemer, and Village Global, we are financially stable and well-positioned to disrupt the $30b video surveillance market and lead the $100b Video Intelligence movement. Please explore further at Spot.ai.
Who You Are:
You are excited about being the first hardware engineer in a team responsible for leading new hardware platform solutions from concept to mass product. You enjoy cross-functional collaboration with teams such as engineering, product and operations to launch high quality products.
You have worked in a high growth company or startup environment, and you have experience building and shipping quality products. You have examples of how you have demonstrated process ownership and how you have driven product innovation. You are excited to help execute on our product vision, which is to move videos from enterprise cameras to user’s pockets and make them useful. You will enjoy assessing and continuously improving our current process that makes this possible - which is through use of a variety of AI-powered hardware SKUs to record and index videos in real time from dozens of cameras at each location. You enjoy architecting our product through a selection of AI silicon, storage, and networking that are integrated together into a family of turnkey appliances that “just work” regardless of the environments they are deployed into, and you want to help make this even more efficient than it is today.
What Excites You:
Architect and define new product requirements of spot AI appliances and cameras
Research AI Edge computing technologies and drive key component selection by working with silicon suppliers
Lead the product development process from prototyping to mass production by managing design risks, costs, quality and other key factors
Oversee schematic design, layout and verification
Collaborate with cross functional teams such as firmware, product management to meet launch goals
Manage JDMs and component suppliers to design, validate, test, manufacture and certify our products
Autonomy and empowerment to move quickly and make rapid decisions
Being part of an early stage company and leaving your mark on defining the hardware engineering function
What Gets Our Attention:
- 3+ years of experience in developing and assembling new electronic products, must have seen at least several products from concept to launch
- Experience in designing systems such as SoCs, power, antenna/RF
- Experience with schematic capture, layout, system bringup and debug during validation
- Ability to understand tradeoffs between engineering design, manufacturing, schedule and cost.
- Outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in electrical engineering or similar
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive compensation
- Generous early stage equity
- Medical, dental and vision plan options
- 401K with Employer Match
- Flexible and supportive time off practices, including self-managed PTO and a 14-week new parent leave policy
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Remote work flexibility, including a stipend to setup your ideal home office
What We Value:
We operate under a trio of company values:
- Customer First, Always. We are relentlessly curious about our customer’s goals, and seek the simplest solutions to solve their problems.
- Own Your Outcomes. We bias towards action, move fast, and iterate. Everyone on our team is empowered to make decisions.
- It’s a team effort. We help each other succeed. We leverage each other’s strengths to accomplish big goals together.
And, we are creating and cultivating a diverse and inclusive culture where we celebrate individuals for what they accomplish, no matter who they are! As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Come join our journey!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄