DevOps Engineer (Mid/Senior)
Buildkite (View all Jobs)
1. No CV required. Anonymized writing assessments. 2. Video chat with founder and future team member about you, the job, and the company. 3. Last video chat is a pair programming for technical roles or more in-depth chat for non-technical roles. 4. Offer.
$120,000 - $175,000 A
Programming Languages Mentioned
At Buildkite we build tools to help the best software teams stay happy and productive. We’ve rethought how CI/CD should work and have built a platform that is fast, reliable, secure, and able to scale to the needs of the most demanding high-growth tech companies including Shopify, Pinterest, Wayfair, Cruise, PagerDuty, Culture Amp, and Canva.
About The Role
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to help us scale one of the biggest Postgres-powered Rails majestic monoliths in the world.
We are experiencing tremendous growth and have the vision to unblock every development team in the world with our products. We run on AWS, we're deep into observability using Datadog, moving to immutable infrastructure using Fargate, doing interesting partitioning with Postgres, and improving our deploy tools so multiple teams can safely deploy our monolith multiple times per day. You’ll join an established team to help level up Buildkite’s scale and reliability.
On a typical day, you could be…
• Adding a canary stage to our deploy pipeline so mistakes are detected before they impact customers
• Consulting with team members to improve how we diagnose and fix the operational aspects of their software system
• Refactoring parts of our production infrastructure using terraform and pull requests to enable our growth
• Iterating on Ruby (Rails) code in our primary app, and any related changes to our PostgreSQL database
• Troubleshooting our production app and isolating issues to fix
• Carefully shifting more of our workload to Fargate
• Video calls with others on the team to discuss or solve problems, or to just say hi
• Providing feedback on a GitHub pull request or responding to feedback left for you
• Engineering solutions to improve the reliability and availability of our platform
Skills and experience we like...
• Experience writing and maintaining zero downtime database migrations
• Familiar with patterns for increasing the safety of deploys, like smoke tests, canaries, and blue/green deploys
• Enjoy thinking about the challenges of safely deploying both code and config changes
• Strong desire to understand the root cause when you see unexpected behaviour in a production system
• Strong communicator that values empathy and kindness when articulating your ideas and feelings when writing or speaking
• Understand development processes. You are comfortable writing git commits, pull requests and issues. You know how to
critique others' code in a positive and productive way, and are comfortable receiving the same sort of feedback
• Comfortable working remotely, leveraging asynchronous communication, working by yourself and taking the initiative to improve
anything and everything
• Learn fast. You might not be an expert in everything we do initially, but you will quickly become an expert in some aspects. You are
comfortable diving in and learning things, even if they are new to you
Buildkite is a differently shaped company. We value work-life balance and support staff to work in the ways that make sense for you. From the beginning, our goal has been to build a company that is people-centred, supportive and just a little bit weird 💚
• $120,000 - $175,000 AUD
• $140,000 - $200,000 NZD
• Generous benefits package
• Remote working
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄
Get weekly alerts of new jobs from companies not using whiteboard interviews!