Manager, Data Architecture
Pie Insurance (View all Jobs)
1. Phone screen with recruiter 2. Technical screen in the form of a pair-programming session to debug and test existing code 3. Final round is a multi-round session that typically includes demonstrations for backend, frontend, and design skills (and they are collaborative in nature) but are not odd Leetcode style questions. There is also a cultural/behavioral fit round, but that does not involve coding/design demonstrations.
$175,000 - $235,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
About The Opportunity
The Data Architecture Manager will be a key leader within the Data Engineering team responsible for overseeing the enterprise data modeling (designs) for Pie’s data and information, leveraging best practice principles for securing, storing, and reporting on business data. It will be the Data Architecture Manager’s responsibility to ensure data systems integrate well with data solutions, modeling, and analytics initiatives.
You will lead a team of data architects that is responsible for partnering and consulting with:
- Portfolio teams in all areas related to data design.
- Business teams to help them articulate their business questions and translate them into meaningful information structures.
- Data governance teams to understand & manage data assets.
- Platform security team to help assure security best practices are part of our data system designs.
This position requires a technical leader who is eager to drive a strong engineering vision and can scale the technology while fostering a collaborative, inclusive culture and should have an overall desire to help develop team members along their career path.
How You’ll Do It
- A hands-on leader who oversees data migrations, data governance initiatives, and data management and architecture projects
- Translates business requirements into technical specifications, including data streams, integrations, transformations, databases, and data warehouses
- Provides guidance to the data architecture team to successfully complete projects. Guidance includes – scoping business questions, data mining, statistical models, customer segmentation, pricing analytics and presentation of insights
- Ensures the team aligns with Pie and the Technology Team’s OKRs, adheres to proper unit and regression testing and coding standards
- Collaborates and coordinates with multiple departments, stakeholders, partners, and external vendors
- Leads efforts to build industry-standard data models for analysis and business consumption, and implements best-practices and procedures for datastore performance and scale across organization
- Designs modern architectures where raw data is transformed into high-performance information, and translates business needs into structure that fits the data/information flow within the organization
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, Computer Science, or related field with 6+ years of engineering experience, architecting and building high-performance and scalable data warehouses with an emphasis on modeling data for business consumption, and managing data privacy/governance
- 3+ years of experience leading a technical team on deliverables and/or project functions/areas with a strong desire to mentor, coach, and develop engineers
- Knowledge of data engineering concepts: data schemas, blob storage, relational databases, ETL/ELT pipelines
- Solid understanding of data structures, query design, data modeling, and extensive experience with SQL across multiple platforms
- An understanding of next-generation data lakes with experience supporting both operational and analytical data stores
- An understanding of microservices architecture and the underlying data strategies associated (such as data mesh) to enable analytics at scale while eliminating data silos
- Apply a test-and-learn mindset to data architecture with experimentation of different components and concepts
- Ability to analyze business requirements in various business functional areas and translate them into conceptual, logical and physical data models
- Demonstrated ability to work with geographically distributed team members
- An understanding of the insurance industry and products is a plus
Base compensation range for position: $175,000 - $235,000
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄