Senior Firmware/Embedded Software Engineer - MCU
Samsara (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally, have 2.3 million IoT devices deployed globally, and collect more than 85 billion minutes of video footage and 4.6 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About the role:
Samsara’s cloud-connected sensor platform collects observations about the world in near real-time. Samsara builds an extensive set of products, including battery-powered, wireless sensors, linux-based IoT gateways, and Internet-connected dashcams. These devices are the building blocks Samsara uses to construct enterprise solutions for a wide range of verticals, including commercial fleet management and industrial monitoring. Through a unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, and more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify and eliminate inefficiencies, and react to alerts all in near real-time.
As a senior/staff embedded software engineer at Samsara, you will develop software that runs on millions of devices, deployed by our industrial and enterprise customers. You’ll tackle challenges including evaluating and selecting hardware components, bringing up new hardware platforms and sensors, building systems to gather data and detect meaningful events, and structuring recorded data to allow efficient analysis across thousands of devices while providing deep insights into individual events.
We use C for our MCU based platforms, Golang for embedded applications on linux-based gateways and backend services, Google protocol buffers to structure data, and various AWS technologies to process and store data. Experience with these exact technologies is not required.
This role is hybrid based out of our SF office.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Participate in system architecture design and component selection: partner with electrical engineers in selecting components based on system and customer needs, prototyping for in-house and beta customer use.
- Bring up new hardware platforms: configuring I/O, debugging interfaces such as SPI, I2C, UART, CAN and ADC, testing connectivity, validating design and debugging system initialization.
- Implement peripheral drivers, secure bootloaders and device firmware update, core management layers (power manager, connectivity manager, etc).
- Design protocols and implement efficient hardware management to optimize energy consumption of battery powered sensors and gateways.
- Work cross-functionally with different stakeholders across product, full-stack and quality teams to deliver reliable high quality embedded software.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Solid C programming skills
- At least 5 years of experience working on MCU based systems.
- Experience developing, debugging, testing and shipping products
- Hands-on debugging skills with test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, RF and network simulators
- Be excited about sensors, connectivity protocols, distributed systems, and their application to solve real world problems
- Thrive in an environment that requires rapid deployment and product iteration based on customer feedback while focusing on automated testing and code quality
- Evaluate how choices at each layer of the stack affect other layers and the customer experience.
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience working in bare metal and RTOS based systems such as Zephyr and/or FreeRTOS
- Strong working experience in one or more core technologies such as BLE, GPS, LTE Cat-M1 or CAN
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄