Staff Software Engineer - Developer Experience
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, C++, Java
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Software Engineer to join our Developer Experience team, focused on building the tools and systems used by Aurora software engineers.
In this role, you will:
- Work with engineers from across the organization to understand developer pain points and implement solutions
- Focus on solving the problems of efficiently developing a complex software system at scale
- Help develop, run, and grow the tools / services used to build and test autonomous vehicle systems
- Contribute development effort to one of the following areas: Developer tooling & workflows, software build system, continuous integration, release engineering & management
- Build and enhance the developer platform required to deliver on Aurora’s product ambitions, including the Aurora Driver
- Degree in computer science or related field (or equivalent working experience)
- Strong background in one or more of the following: Python, Go, C++, Java
- 3+ years of experience working on large software development projects spanning multiple teams
- Past experience with developer tooling, software development workflows, build systems, and related areas is a huge plus
- Experience with developer tools and software development workflows, as well as version control/source code management platforms (GitHub strongly preferred)
- Knowledge of continuous integration processes and tools, with bonus points for familiarity with the Buildkite platform
- Background in software development tools such as build systems (Bazel in particular), compilers, static analysis & coverage tools
- Understanding of the challenges, trade offs, and approaches involved in providing a world class developer experience in a monorepo development environment
- Passionate about understanding the needs of our engineering teams and shipping tools/features that increase code velocity and improve the overall developer experience
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄