Engineering Manager, Campaigns
Lob (View all Jobs)
1. Initial phone screen 2. On-site interview. Technical problems discussed during the interview are all simplified versions of problems we've had to solve in production. Our entire interview process and what we're looking for is described in our blog post How We Interview Engineers.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
As a proud Pledge 1% company, we’re committed to leveraging our product, partnerships, and people to drive positive social impact through Lob.org, and are on a mission to make direct mail more sustainable.
About the Group and the Role
The Consumer Experience group builds features for enterprise customers who interact with Lob through both API integrations and low/no-code tools. We’re looking for an experienced software engineering manager to help develop the next generation of Lob’s user-facing products and technologies. While our work spans the entire development stack and we love when people stretch their skillset, this role will focus primarily on managing full-stack engineers.
You will be foundational in growing our engineering team culture and our strategic technical vision. People who are likely to succeed in this role will thrive in environments of high visibility and are excited to work with stakeholders across different teams. You will be a source of coaching and mentoring for our team members and will help us promote an inclusive, trusting culture. In turn, we will focus on growing your skills through goal setting, structured professional development, and continuous feedback.
We teach and use Node.js (often with TypeScript). All of our services run on AWS, with a Service Oriented Architecture. Due to the size and scope of the Consumer Experience group, we are able to prioritize both foundational technical architecture work and user-facing features. We believe in maintaining a culture of high cooperation, psychological safety, and performance where individuals can thrive and do the best work of their careers.
As an Engineering Manager for Campaigns, you’ll…
- Work with engineering leaders to craft a technical vision for your team, supporting a mindset of experimentation, rapid iteration, and enterprise-grade customer experience.
- Oversee and engage hands-on in the day-to-day operations of your team, constantly raising the bar for everything engineering - from code quality and design robustness, to stakeholder management and inter/intra-team relationships.
- Collaborate closely with your Product counterparts on balancing team and technology realities with providing the best value and experiences to our customers.
- Represent your team by modeling subject matter expertise, a “can-do” attitude, and focus on solving for Lob.
- Teach, mentor, and coach. Model non-violent communication and helpful feedback in all directions.
- Be responsible for building a diverse and inclusive team, where everyone feels comfortable being themselves at work.
For this role, we're looking for…
- 2+ years of experience managing a full-stack team in a growth-stage company.
- 4+ years of experience as an individual contributor and technical leader in a full-stack/front-end environment.
- Working familiarity with modern web programming (Vue/React/Node/RoR, etc.). The specific frameworks/libraries are immaterial, but you should be prepared to learn what you don’t know.
- Significant experience in roles that include operational responsibility for large-scale software systems (monitoring, alerting, production debugging, etc.). While we ultimately value expertise over experience, we expect that a successful candidate for this role will have 3+ years working with complex production systems.
- Empathy and effective communication skills: you can advocate for teammates and stakeholders such as customers and product managers. You can explain complex technical issues to both audiences of diverse technical understanding.
Don’t meet 100% of the requirements? So what? If you’re passionate about this kind of work and you think it might just be in your wheelhouse, talk to us! We’d love to hear from you.
We offer remote working opportunities, unless otherwise described in the job description, in AZ, CA, CO, DC, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, UT, and WA. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work, and a ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Flexible vacation policy
- Wellness program
- Paid parental leave
- Paid volunteer time off to support the organizations you care most about
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄