Engineering Manager, Ubuntu Desktop Gaming
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
We are creating a new team to focus on Linux gaming on Ubuntu. Our goal is to enable game ecosystems like Steam, and individual game publishers, to be confident they can deliver outstanding gameplay on Ubuntu - in fact the best gameplay possible on your hardware. As part of that we are hiring a manager to lead the team.
We are in an exciting time for gaming on Linux. Compatibility tools like Proton have matured, and many native Windows titles "just work" today, massively expanding the gaming catalog available on Linux. Nevertheless, delivering a well rounded gaming experience is about more than just compatibility; it’s about maximising performance across a wide range of hardware, ensuring anti-cheat mechanisms are robust and secure, making it easy to access tools for content creation, driver management and HUD overlays as well as ensuring game controllers, headsets, RGB keyboards and gaming mice are fully supported. We want to create a platform that makes it easy for players to find the games they want, use the devices they own and share those experiences with friends.
In this role you will work with open source projects like Proton as well as with partners like Unity to improve the gaming experience for Ubuntu users around the world, as well as the wider Linux gaming ecosystem in general.
As an engineering manager at Canonical you must be technically strong, but your responsibility is to run an effective team and develop the colleagues you manage. You are expected to help them grow as engineers, do important work, do it outstandingly well, find professional and personal satisfaction, and work well with colleagues and community. Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role. You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Location: This is a Globally remote role
What your day will look like
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers
- Coach, mentor, and provide hands-on examples to shape career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles
- Help determine the product roadmap through insights, estimation and execution
- Set and manage expectations with other teams, management, and stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel twice a year for company events up to two weeks long
What we are looking for in you
- Experience leading a distributed team to deliver features
- Ideally, experience with devops - running production services at scale
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Developing and growing people
- Knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- Experience in Linux graphics or gaming technologies.
- A gamer, with first hand experiences of the challenges users face on Linux.
- Understanding of the current Linux gaming technology landscape
- Ideas and insights as to how Ubuntu can have a positive impact on Linux gaming
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, you can ask in the later stages of the recruitment process.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄