Manager, Web Development
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara is looking for a Manager, Web Development to manage our engineering team that looks after Samsara.com and related web properties. As a part of Samsara’s Growth Product and Engineering organization this role will play a pivotal role in looking after the infrastructure that powers all of Samsara’s marketing websites. This role will manage an experienced team of front end developers and ensure we have the right foundations to support our internationalization, performance, accessibility and SEO goals.
You’ll partner with our design, marketing, product and many other teams to bring great web experiences to life. We’ve invested in the latest and greatest, leveraging the JAMStack in as many web experiences as possible. Our ideal candidate is excited about the future of web development and open to leveraging new architectural patterns to create accessible, performant and elegant web experiences.
As a leader of the team you’ll build cross-functional relationships to improve the overall quality of our web properties and help coach engineers their careers with Samsara. From time to time, you’ll jump into the code yourself to support the team when needed.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee Web roadmap development from soup to nuts. From requirements gathering, to technical scoping, to development, and finally deployment and monitoring.
- Guide a team of accomplished Web Developers and coach the team to grow in skillset and career.
- Partner with stakeholders across Marketing, Design, and Growth Product Management to build a roadmap and support the team against delivery of that roadmap.
- Ensure our web properties adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and SEO best practices.
- Keep our sites in tip-top shape – partnering with Design to build out a robust component library that ensures consistent application of brand, content and display standards.
- Support the ongoing needs of our growing Marketing organization through managing our CMS (Contentful) and ensuring our content architecture is easy-to-use and well-kept.
- Support the team as needed with hands-on coding (yes, we expect you’ll write some code!)
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
- Hire, develop and lead an inclusive, engaged, and high performing team
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 6+ years experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of engineering management experience
- Experience working on search engine optimization (SEO) including familiarity with optimizing core web performance metrics (CLS, LCP, FID, etc.) and Lighthouse scores
- Experience in cross-functional collaboration with Design, Marketing, and other non-technical teams
- Experience using modern front-end tools (Vite, Webpack, ESLint, Jest, Cypress, etc)
- Knowledge of search analytics, optimization, and tuning best practices
- Understands the value of team culture, communication, and collaboration
- Experience developing team members based on their needs and interests as well as the needs of the company
- Ability to partner with different parts of the organization to identify and solve major business problems
An ideal candidate also has:
- Familiarity with front end frameworks such as Nuxt, Vue, Vuex or related frameworks(Next, Gatsby, React, etc.)
- Knowledge of Section 508, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, and U.S. Web Design System
- Knowledge working with AWS services such as Amplify, CloudFront, Lambda
- Experience working with Jamstack deployment infrastructure such as Amplify, Netlify, or Vercel
- Experience with Agile practices.
- 2+ years experience working with a headless CMS (we use Contentful!)
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄