Senior Fullstack Engineer (Ruby on Rails/React)
Artsy (View all Jobs)
New York City
1. Informal chat 2. Application 3. Phone screen 4. In-person interview with 1 lead, 2 individual contributors and 1 non-engineer (30-45 mins each), focusing on your work habits and expertise as demonstrated in your previous work 5. ~4 in-depth professional reference calls (30-45 mins each).
Programming Languages Mentioned
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are looking for a Full-Stack Engineer to join our Collector Group and work on the Artsy ecosystem to build engaging experiences for users interacting with our brand on and off our platform. This role requires Ruby and React knowledge and would be the best fit for someone who enjoys working on optimizing APIs, integrating third-party services into legacy services, and building automated workflows to propel other teams’ velocity.
This role will be in the Grow team, a subset of the Collector Group. The Grow team owns the infrastructure around all the Artsy digital entry points and, as such, works on surfacing the data that goes into our thoughtfully curated marketing campaigns; continuously improves the experiences that welcome our users to our web and mobile interfaces, and more!
At Artsy, Engineers work closely with the Product, Data, and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. The Artsy Engineering team believes in open source, invests in psychological safety, and consistently improves tools and processes.
What You’ll Do:
- Using data insights, plan and build engaging user experiences that introduce users to the Artsy platform and compel them to return.
- Optimize and grow our APIs to power the digital experiences that engage Artsy users.
- Collaborate with our Marketing partners and empower their workflow by improving our API documentation and unblocking critical requests related to our APIs.
- Write clean, testable code with attention to performance and scalability.
- Advocate for best coding practices within a large, heterogeneous team.
- Collaborate with teammates through knowledge shares, pair programming, and an open feedback loop.
- Participate in the Grow team’s process and ceremonies.
- Optionally contribute to the engineering culture at Artsy and the rest of the industry via our open source community, blogging platform, and podcast.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- This role will be based in New York or US Remote and is remote friendly as long as you agree to work Eastern Standard Time.
- You have experience building and fine-tuning Rest and GraphQL APIs.
- You have experience working with:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- React or a modern JS framework
- Bonus: Typescript.
- You have built and scaled REST APIs and/or GraphQL APIs.
- You know how to interact with third-party APIs and libraries.
- You have experience developing large design systems and are comfortable discussing choices and trade-offs around architecture, performance, scalability, and data modeling.
- You can work both independently and collaboratively with a distributed team.
- You enjoy learning with and from others and can laugh at yourself!
Additionally, we encourage you:
- Read our values and engineering principles, and ensure they resonate with you.
- Remember to hold strong opinions loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time-off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄