Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Splash (View all Jobs)
Remote (Spain or The Netherlands)
1. Recruiter Screening 2. Hiring Manager Screen 3. Onsite - 3 interviews. 1 live coding exercise, but google allowed. Systems design and behavioral. 4. Sometimes 1 more interview w/ management
Programming Languages Mentioned
Splash’s mission is to develop the most innovative event technology to help marketers reach and engage their target audiences. From simplifying event creation to capturing attendee insights and measuring event impact, Splash enables teams to efficiently scale event programs and connect event-driven engagement to business results. More than half of the Fortune 500 use Splash to streamline event marketing execution and optimize performance.
What we’re looking for 🔎
🎨 The Design Tools team in Splash Engineering is in search of an experienced senior backend engineer who can join us in owning and evolving our tools to create delightful guest experiences. We own several crucial parts of Splash like the tool hosts use to design their event’s landing pages and emails, including the newly created virtual event page.
👨👩👧 The Design Tools team consists of 4 Senior Software Engineers (1 backend-focused engineer, 3 frontend-focused - one of them is also the Tech Lead of the team), an Engineering Manager, a Product Manager, a Product Designer and a QA Mentor.
🔮 We have a very exciting and almost infinite roadmap ahead of us. During this journey, our product must stay reliable, robust and delightful. As a senior engineer on your team, your duty will be making this vision a reality.
In this role, you’ll get to…
- Architect solutions to complex problems, delivering proposals that are flexible, robust and taking into account business needs.
- Collaborate with your team in scoping, estimating, implementing and testing new features and fixes.
- Be communicative and reliable, so that others can depend on you.
- Mentor other engineers on good practices, technologies, and patterns.
- Show up as a team member, encouraging others through example in collaboration, productivity, effective communication and love for details.
- Propose initiatives and lead by example on evolving the Splash backend codebase of their team, so that it’s performant, flexible, scalable and easy to work with.
- Crush bugs like an exterminator, identifying their root cause swiftly and performing a fix or proposing a long-term mitigation plan.
- Spread good energy and enthusiasm to the rest of the team. Find the fun!
On your first day, we’ll expect you to have…
- 5+ years experience building and maintaining software, as part of a team.
- Testing, clean code and continuous integration mindset.
- Proficient coding in any OOP language (PHP, Java, C#)
- Willingness to learn and work with PHP and Node.js.
- Great communicator skills, both with other engineers technically and with non-technical stakeholders.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge about microservices.
Not a deal breaker, but it’d be great if you had experience…
- Working with microservices, and/or breaking apart monoliths.
- Coding in PHP, Node.js, or TypeScript
- Working with distributed or fully remote teams.
- Working with observability (Grafana, Prometheus, etc.), troubleshooting and constructing root cause analysis (RCAs).
- Working with message brokers (e.g. Kafka, RabbitMQ).
- Presenting ideas, techniques or approaches to other team members, at meetups or conferences.
About Splash Engineering
At Splash, we embrace collaboration and co-creation as a way to engineer a world-class product. We learn from each other through PR reviewing, RFCs, documentation, architectural conversations and pair programming. Everybody has a voice here and you’re encouraged to stay curious.
Our backend core is built with PHP. We are planning to adopt microservices as well, written in Go, TypeScript or PHP. Our infrastructure runs with top technologies, like ArgoCD, Prometheus, EFK, etc.
What we offer and other fun stuff!
We’re taking a new and improved approach to compensation and the way we #takecare of our Splashers. An approach that makes a lot more sense in this remote world we live in and looking toward the future of work. You can read more here. In a nutshell, we offer…
💰 Competitive base salary and stock options. Our success is your success 📈
- 💻 Brand new MacBook Pro / Linux and monthly stipend for work-from-home expenses.
🏥 Great healthcare benefits with Sanitas, with paid coverage for you and your family
🌴 Plenty of vacation days, with Splash-specific days off and 2 extra Mental Escape (M.E.) days per month to unplug from work
🗺 Remote first organization
- ✍️ If you are based in Spain, a full-time indefinite contract (contrato indefinido).
A bunch of other great perks/benefits that would make this description too long if we included it 😉
It doesn’t stop there! Although we’re a remote company, we understand the importance of in-person connection. 🛫 We have a yearly company offsite in New York (pending it being safe health-wise) and fun virtual events with the rest of your team and the company (IRL too when it’s safe!).
If you’re interested in joining the team, apply below and you can expect to hear from us soon 🙂. Please give us at least 2 weeks to get back to you. We promise we’re not ignoring you, playing Pokemon all day, or listening to the new J. Cole album on repeat (even though it’s 💯 ). It just takes a little TLC to go through all the applications and see if there’s a possible fit for you here.
Salary commensurate with experience.
At Splash, we believe that big ideas and great communities come from a team that celebrates diversity of all kinds. We are committed to being an equal opportunity workplace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
*We collect personal information (PI) from you in connection with your application for employment with Splash, including the following categories of PI: identifiers, 8 personal records, 9 commercial information, 10 professional or employment information, 11 non-public education records 12 and inferences drawn from your PI. 1314 We collect your PI for our purposes, including performing services and operations related to your potential employment. For additional details or if you have questions, contact us at [privacy@Splash.com].
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄