Senior C++ Engineer, Asyncronous Pan & Zoom
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
Programming Languages Mentioned
The Firefox Platform Layout team is a global community of engineers who care deeply about how the Web looks and feels. We are the team responsible for Page Layout, CSS, images, text, printing, and animations in Gecko, the engine behind Firefox. We strive to build and maintain an engine that is both high-performance and standards-compliant, while providing support for features unique to Firefox. Are you the type of software engineer who wants to collaborate with other driven, committed team members to help bring new capabilities to the Open Web for millions of people? Do you have experience with either C++ or Rust? If so, we'd love to hear from you!
On our team, you will be able to design and develop standards-compliant CSS and page layout features that all of our users see, with a current particular focus on Asynchronous Pan and Zoom (APZ), our technology for making user interaction snappy and delightful. You will be helping make the Web Platform more usable, accessible, beautiful, and interactive over time. We are looking for Engineers with experience in C++ and/or Rust. You’ll be responsible for writing code, tests, specifications, building prototypes, solving problems, and analyzing data. You are a self-starter who wants to have a direct, immediate impact on the web.
Our team is geographically-distributed, and working virtually and in the open is the norm. You can expect to work on the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of platforms - Android, Windows, Linux, and macOS. Our focus is on writing fast, lightweight and maintainable code to make Firefox phenomenal for users.
What You’ll Do:
- Work cooperatively with other Mozillians to identify and correct issues, and ask for help as needed
- Write high-quality, performant, open source, and standards compliant code
- Develop innovative layout, graphics, and user interaction techniques, algorithms and tools to maximize the rendering quality and performance of Firefox
- Participate in regular code reviews, team meetings and long-term planning
- Help triage and test bugs, taking the initiative to drill down to root causes and explore potential solutions
What You'll Have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field
- Experience developing C/C++ and/or Rust applications
- Strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience with memory and performance optimizations tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven record of finishing projects where the work spans several months
- Ability to quickly learn and be effective with a large code base
Bonus points if you have any of the following:
- Familiarity with Android application programming, profiling and debugging
- Experience with GPU and CPU optimizations and architecture
- Experience participating in and contributing to open source projects
We value a variety of voices on the Layout Team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R1926
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄