Principal Software Engineer
Gemini (View all Jobs)
New York, New York; Seattle, Washington; San Francisco, California
1. Phone chat 2. Take-home project 3. Discussion on-site. Questions on prior experiences and culture fit
$198,000 - $277,000
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Software Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Principal Software Engineer
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Principal Engineer to lead the design, build and architecture of mission critical systems as part of Gemini’s broader product lines and services. We focus on innovating how we deliver software and this individual will be working with our engineering teams to improve our ability to deliver high quality solutions to our customers fast and efficiently. Even more so than in other engineering roles, this individual must be an outstanding communicator and bridge-builder across different parts of the technology organization and the business. You’ll put your experience to work with helping development teams design and implement their solution. This role can be based at any of our office hubs (New York area preferred, Chicago, Portland, Oregon, San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles or Singapore offices).
- Leverage your expertise in architecting performant, scalable, complex systems, with a focus on engineering excellence and best practices
- Develop new products and product features on the Gemini platform within the Neobanking space, spanning multiple teams and 30+ engineers
- Work cross-team to provide technical leadership and input, using your experience and knowledge to drive the planning, design and requirements process for new products and features
- Foster a culture of code review, raising the bar on code cleanliness, style, and information security concerns
- Maximize our use of automated testing & CI/CD to ensure new product features are operational and work correctly
- Mentor engineers across the Neobanking organization, working closely with Engineering Managers and Engineers to develop an environment of effective knowledge sharing and technical growth
- At least 10 years of previous software engineering experience
- Experience working with high-performing teams of engineers on new problem areas for product development.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the design and development of complex, innovative software solutions, cultivate product technology visions.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to work closely across sub teams and manage dependencies.
- Sound business judgment, with a proven ability to influence others and make excellent business and technical decisions.
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in collaboration with peers.
- A customer focused empathy and understanding of the challenges that developers face when using an application development platform, and a vision for how great products can help.
It Pays to Work Here
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $198,000 - $277,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄