Engineering Manager, User Billing
Stripe (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, Seattle, USA (Remote)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, and detects fraud, helping entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world. User Billing provides a central entry point to Stripe teams to monetize products in global markets, consisting of our Revenue Platform, Pricing Onboarding and Enterprise Billing teams. This will be accomplished through sophisticated pricing onboarding tooling and workflow management, a unified revenue engine, and custom solutions to the complex problems facing our largest enterprise users.
As an Engineering Manager in User Billing, you’ll be building and improving a product suite that helps all of Stripe’s products generate and collect revenue, and empowers Stripe’s users and business functions to configure, measure, analyze, and report on pricing and revenue. You will have the opportunity to work on all parts of the stack, from backend infrastructure to data modeling to tools and frontend surfaces for configuring and representing pricing and billing data.
The User Billing team owns an unusual mix of platform, infrastructure, and product problems. We are looking for people with a strong background or interest in working across these domains to build successful platforms and systems. You’re comfortable dealing with many moving pieces, you work effectively across teams and functions, and you have exquisite attention to detail. You’re looking forward to learning new technologies, systems, and problem domains.
- Work with many Stripe leaders across the company to drive toward the vision and direction of Stripe’s User Billing systems
- Scope, design, and lead technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Design, build, and maintain internal user-facing experiences, APIs, services, and systems
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the company including engineering, product, operations, finance, data science, accounting, sales, and operations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to Stripe’s User Billing domain
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure and/or products.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on distributed systems, but haven’t worked on platforms or products before joining Stripe.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄